Superlight XC Rig?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Superlight XC Rig?

I've been looking to build a crazy lightweight hardtail for XC racing this summer and came across this carbon frame. It seems like a great deal for what I'm looking for....any opinions? Could I do much better without spending an arm and a leg?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Pelly_NH
    I've been looking to build a crazy lightweight hardtail for XC racing this summer and came across this carbon frame. It seems like a great deal for what I'm looking for....any opinions? Could I do much better without spending an arm and a leg?
    It may be a little expensive. The older carbon frames weren't known for being very durable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Good point...although this particular frame looks to be close to brand-new....None of the usual wear-marks on the top-tube or chainstay....Add to that the SweetWings cranks (I found a link to places to get bearings for them) and it looks like a great deal...

I think I'll pull the trigger on it right before it goes and see if I can grab this thing for cheap money...(crosses fingers)

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Good point...although this particular frame looks to be close to brand-new....None of the usual wear-marks on the top-tube or chainstay....Add to that the SweetWings cranks (I found a link to places to get bearings for them) and it looks like a great deal...

I think I'll pull the trigger on it right before it goes and see if I can grab this thing for cheap money...(crosses fingers)
    That frame may be 12 years old. It was only the second year that Trek used OCLV. Hopefuly, you want to use rim brakes as the disk mounts are probably not correct for today's disks.

The seller has 0 feedback. I'd get someone to check out that frame PRIOR to making any bid. I know.....THe frame was only ridden by a 95 year old woman from Pasadena....to get to church. BUYER BEWARE.

My nephew got screwed out of some hard earned money when he bought a carbon road frame on Ebay. After the fact....I found out that the seller was just around the corner from me. I could have checked it out if my nephew had mentioned it to me before the purchase.

Map Maker

Zero feedback means no deal for me- even less than 10 I won't buy a frame from.

keep your money for something you can look at or get checked out by a shop. If you give your money to zero feedback just kiss it good bye.

but even if the guy is legit the frame is too old - you can get a much stronger frame that will last you longer just keep looking.

I had a buddy that just broke an old oclv frame from normal riding - it was broken in three places - just broke from normal use - these older frames just wear out after while -you'd have no warranty
    Richmond, VA
    Ra-MORE mtb club

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I see the seller is accepting PayPal...That should give me some sort of protection right, since I can use a Credit Card and get the charge dropped if the seller isn't legit?

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I see the seller is accepting PayPal...That should give me some sort of protection right, since I can use a Credit Card and get the charge dropped if the seller isn't legit?
    Check the Paypal small print. You are not protected.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I took that advice BlueShorts and asked to see the frame in person. Turns out, the guy was only about 45min from my house!

The frame looks great and hardly looks ridden....This guy must be one of those, "buy a killer bike and hardly ride" type...

After picking up the frame with the cranks installed, I was sold....I'll be bidding on the frame in the last hour so I can (hopefully) get this thing for as close to the opening bid as possible...

Thank you for the advice guys! I am much more comfortable spending the money after having seen and touched it in person. Plus, I know where the guy lives so I am sure he won't screw me over! lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I took that advice BlueShorts and asked to see the frame in person. Turns out, the guy was only about 45min from my house!

The frame looks great and hardly looks ridden....This guy must be one of those, "buy a killer bike and hardly ride" type...

After picking up the frame with the cranks installed, I was sold....I'll be bidding on the frame in the last hour so I can (hopefully) get this thing for as close to the opening bid as possible...

Thank you for the advice guys! I am much more comfortable spending the money after having seen and touched it in person. Plus, I know where the guy lives so I am sure he won't screw me over! lol
    Good move. Congrats on the frame! Let us know how it rides once you get it set up. I know I'm curious.