mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Stumpy 100 or 120?

I never thought I'd say this, but I need some guidance...
    I'm a 46 yo guy who used to race expert...but haven't ridden mtb's much since breaking my arm in 2000....but I still race road and cross.

I want to get back into mtb ing.....mostly just riding hard with friends and maybe an occassional race.I live in MA where it's pretty rocky and rooty with hilly rolling terrain ( no endless climbs like out west).I still have my old Mongoose Ti...but it's beating me up and it's getting a little long in the tooth.The shop that helps me out has Specialized, Cdale and Kona..I used to race a Pro-flex way back when...it was fast and didn't beat me up..I figure a full suspension bike will not beat me up so bad.

The Stumpjumper Disc Experts look nice....but I'm stumped on the 100 or 120 deal. I see the 120 has no real lockout, which I've always liked...but maybe that extra inch will be more comfortable...but at what cost to power?

What other options? I just don't want a slow bike...which is what some of the 5+ inch bikes feel like. But a lot of folks rave about these all mountain bikes.

So, ...guide me

There's no app for this.

here's my .02

never raced but have had 3", 4" ,5", 6", and 7" forks on varying bikes over the years.

1st) The TALAS topcap knob changes the travel 3mm per click which allows the rider to change the travel while riding from 85mm to 125mm. The TALAS air-spring system automatically changes the air pressure and spring rate when the travel is adjusted so that it is ensures consistent ride performance for the bike in all settings. TALAS also has an IFP and secondary air chamber which makes the air-spring curve linear so it has an exact coil-spring feel throughout the travel which provides the best bump absorption.
    The TALAS has adjustable REBOUND and LOCKOUT

So I'd say this offers lots of options. I'd also say it fits if you do any steeper descents on technical terrain...this fork will let you flow thru with little effort and no fear of death unlike an older 3" fork.

2nd) If you're not riding steeper technical stuff, then the 100mm is fine.

Now all of that said, I don't know either of these forks well. Simply put, more travel and flexibility is probably better. Maybe your LBS will let you try it and if you don't like it swap to the other? I just know the older I get the easier it is...is more fun (I'm 57 on an Enduro and have a 7" big bike on order)

Good luck, Jim

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a 2004 Stumpy FSR Comp; thinking of upgrading to the 120. I'm your same age, probably less athletic, not a racer, but I've ridden for many years and enjoy long rides.

The Stumpy 120 has a slightly slacker head angle. The only review I've read said this made the handling better. I think the slightly more relaxed head angle would be a benefit, I've had some sketchy experiences descending on steeps.

But I'm running rim brakes and also, at 5'10" I'm right between a medium and a large frame and bought the medium, so maybe this wouldn't be an issue for you depending on your height.

Unless you do a lot of out of the saddle climbing, the softer platform would probably not be an issue. And with the Talus fork, you can change this as you like.

I'd try to ride both bikes and see what you think. For me, I think the 120 is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor
    I never thought I'd say this, but I need some guidance...
    I'm a 46 yo guy who used to race expert...but haven't ridden mtb's much since breaking my arm in 2000....but I still race road and cross.

I want to get back into mtb ing.....mostly just riding hard with friends and maybe an occassional race.I live in MA where it's pretty rocky and rooty with hilly rolling terrain ( no endless climbs like out west).I still have my old Mongoose Ti...but it's beating me up and it's getting a little long in the tooth.The shop that helps me out has Specialized, Cdale and Kona..I used to race a Pro-flex way back when...it was fast and didn't beat me up..I figure a full suspension bike will not beat me up so bad.

The Stumpjumper Disc Experts look nice....but I'm stumped on the 100 or 120 deal. I see the 120 has no real lockout, which I've always liked...but maybe that extra inch will be more comfortable...but at what cost to power?

What other options? I just don't want a slow bike...which is what some of the 5+ inch bikes feel like. But a lot of folks rave about these all mountain bikes.

So, ...guide me