stumpjumper fsr elite or cannondale prophet 3- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

stumpjumper fsr elite or cannondale prophet 3

Decisions, decisions!!!

I am trying to decide between an 07 stumpjumper FSR elite and an 07 prophet 3 both in UK spec. I have recently had a prophet 500SL after an old cannondale hardtail. The 500SL was ok apart from the manitou splice super forks were useless and also I was regularly hitting the pedals on the floor whixh has not happened on other FS bikes I have tried on the same trails. This will probably be down to the 120mm SL frame. So now I need to choose a better bike. I have studied both on paper and have ridden a stumpjumper comp and a prophet 3MX. This is what it comes down to: I ride the trail parks in the UK and always look for the black runs, same applies to riding out in the hills, find the most exciting trails with lots of fast downhill adrenaline sections. The cannondale is heavier, sturdier and has 140mm travel. The stumpy elite is lighter and has tals forks front and fox triad rear, but only 120mm travel frame. Do I go light with better kit (stumpy) or sturdy with rockshox pike fork and manitou radium rear 140mm both ends? all brakes, gears etc are roughly the same spec. any advice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    bikes specs can be viewed at;

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22215

http://gb.cannondale.com/bikes/07/ce...odel-7VE3.html

have a look and please help me to decide, thanks

mtbr member
    I recently was making the same decision with one exception and it was the deal maker. The lefty. Without the lefty it would have been a stumpjumper all the way. To be honest I just don't see the Prophet without the lefty. If you have not rode the Lefty you might want to give it a try before you put your money down. I'm a big guy 220 lb and it is way stiffer then any other fork I have ridden.
    Chris

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    thanks for the advice. I must admit I haven't ridden a bike with a lefty on. The latest cannondales in the UK have gone with traditional forks as the leftys are not popular. The prophet 3 comes with rock shox pike coil forks with 100 to 140mm travel and compression and rebound travel, but they are quite a heavy fork with a through axle. I'm a fan of Fox which is why the stumpy elite is tempting because of the talas front and triad rear, so ticks the suspension boxes. i'm just afraid I might break th bike. I love cannondales which is why I'm finding it so hard to choose. I've only been mtb'ing 6 months but am out every weekend for as much trail action as I can find. Am I being unfair to the stumpy frame etc - perhaps it will take the bangs?

as you can see I'm pretty much 50/ 50 on this decision

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I bought a SJ FSR Elite two months ago and really enjoy it after many years on hardtails. Its a great mix of components and the Talas stands out from all other shocks I have used.
    The Traid is a good shock but the switch between the three settings has no positive feel and it bothers me. Coming from hardtails, when I have to portage the SJ I find it heavy and will try to lighten it this spring with new wheels after the winter/spring mud and rain. I weight about 150 lbs and I do not feel the need for more rear travel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    what sort of riding do you do? have you used the stumpjumper down any rough stuff as yet? My main concern is whether it will take the abuse of regular rough downhill tracks? I know the cannondale will , but its heavy (in comparison). Also have yo had any problem with the gear changing as I believe it is LX levers up front?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I am interested in this also... bump!
    Gareth

Members who have read this thread: 0