Stumpjumper FSR ???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Stumpjumper FSR ???

I'm looking to replace my 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight and have been shopping around. I orignally intended to buy another Superlight, but started looking at Specialized. It looks like the Stumpy FSR or FSR-comp are in my price range (1800-2200). I've read the reviews, but it's not always easy to tell what year/model people are writing about. I'll buy new, so any opinions or experiences with the 2006 models would be great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    2006 Stumpys are top bikes. They are getting excellent reviews with most reviewers noting improvements over the previous models. If you want to stay with SC, you could look into a Heckler (price dropped a fair bit this year) if you want a do it all bike. Giant Trance would be worth considering in your price range as an option to the Stumpy.

mtbr member
    i got a new 06 stumpy expert for $2300 + tax. The fork alone is worth the upgrade to the expert IMO. I've had mine for about a 2 months (300+ miles), and it's been solid. It climbs well, and descends great. It is a very plush feeling ride, which is what my back wanted. I think it will feel very different from your SL, you should definitely take a test ride. The trance is also a very solid ride, but a tad heavier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the opinions. It looks like the base model of the Epic is in the same price range. I hadn't thought about Giant, I'll swing by the dealer this evening. Do any of you happen to know weights on these bikes?

There's no app for this.

my 06

Stumpy comp is 28 lb., but I changed the drive train to (lighter) XT from Truvative and the shifters to SRAM X9.

After a Heckler and 2 Bullits, and an Enduro, I can say the Stumpy is one outstanding bike, lacking nothing IMHO, excpet the tires don't suit my terrain.

good luck, Jim

Members who have read this thread: 0