Stuck over bike purchase- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Stuck over bike purchase

1. my budget is about $600
    2. there are three bikes that i have been looking into but i am defianlty open to any suggestions. I am pretty much looking at these because they are last years models and a therefore cheaper. :
    1. '06 Specialized Hardrock Disc Pro ($600) size medium (17")
    2. '06 Norco bigfoot ($580) size large (18.5")
    3. '05 Gary Fisher GED($600) (15.5")
    3. I think that my riding style most likely fits into XC category, i mainly stick to single track trails with no jumps of drop offs but i love crusing down hill (would that be XC?) but i would really like a good durable bike that can handle a lot of abuse. I would like it to be able to advance with me as much as that is possible.
    4. I prefer hardtail only because i don't think i could afford a very good FS.
    5. im 20 years old, about 5'9 and 160lbs
    6. Im pretty much open to buy a bike anywhere
    7. feel free to through out any suggestions that you have

I am really confused on the size issue. It seems that every bike shop tells me something different. So im not sure what i need M or L or would a small be ok if i could get a really good deal?

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    for size, i think you're stuck in between sizes. Either a small or a mediuem... i'm 5'8 and i ride a small...maybe you'd be more happy with a medium... Btw, have you considered an Ibex?
    http://ibexbikes.com/Bikes/ALP-650-Details.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I would look very hard at the Specialized. Very good bike for the money. My friend just got the same bike and I rode it and really liked it. I had a '99 Hardrock and I thrashed that bike and never had a problem. And I weigh 215 lbs. So just my opinion. You may also consider a Ironhorse. Go to rscycle.com. There are some good deals on there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Really.. you would say a small or a medium. I ride a large specialized 99 hardrock right now and it is ok but i would like a frame with a bit more room for forgiveness if i need to drop to my feet. The specialized has mechanical disc brakes while the others have hydraulic. Do you think it makes big difference?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean.bannon
    Really.. you would say a small or a medium. I ride a large specialized 99 hardrock right now and it is ok but i would like a frame with a bit more room for forgiveness if i need to drop to my feet. The specialized has mechanical disc brakes while the others have hydraulic. Do you think it makes big difference?
    yupp, i'd say a small or a medium... the main reason being the effective top tube. Dont want one which is stretched out too far...

As for mechanicals vs hydraulics... Imo, Hydraulics are far better then mechanicals. They require less maintainence once they're dialed in. Far better modulation and better stopping power. However, some models dont apply...for example, i'd take Avid BB7 over Hayes Sole anyday... But imo, the HFX9 are way better then the BB7...

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    yupp, i'd say a small or a medium... the main reason being the effective top tube. Dont want one which is stretched out too far...
    sorry but what exactly does that mean?

mtbr member
    sorry but what exactly does that mean?

effective top tube is the amount of distance from the the head tube at the top part to where your seat is gonna be... basicly it's the main influence in reach from you to the bars...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My friend is 5' 9" and rides a medium. It fits him perfect. My wife has a small Hardrock an it's way too small for him. I'm 6' and ride a large perfect. I would say a medium. But just ride them both and see which one is more confy.

The brake thing is tough one. Hydraulic are better in my opinion. I had the same problem with Specialized. I was looking at a FSR Comp full suspension. Really liked the bike but at $1119.00 it didn't even come with disk brakes. It had V- Brakes. And here is my friend looking at a $459.00 Hardrock is getting disks. I could have paid $179.00 more for non-hydraulic disks. This is one reason I bought my Jamis. Paid a little more but got hydraulics etc.....

El Pollo Diablo
    I think I'm one of the few around these boards that does this every time, but I almost always point people towards craigslist or local classifieds...
    some smoking deals to be had, and just like every other form of transportation, you lose a lot of value as soon as you leave the dealership (er, LBS)
    Medium sounds about right, with some give based on how your body is set up (long arms, long torso, etc)
    Really it should come down to whichever bike you are most comfortable on.
    brake wise, there really isn't anything wrong with V's or mechanical discs, other than the previous mentioned maintainence issues with the mechs.

Members who have read this thread: 0