mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Stripping and Prepping Frame for Powdercoat

I have a 00 S-Works Stumpjumper (hard tail) that I'm in the process of rebuilding and painting. I had originally planned on having it blasted but haven't found anyone in the area (yet) that has blasting process other than the stand AL oxide that would damage the frame.

I've done some searching and it seems like stripping it with chemical stripper won't be too bad. Once I get the old paint off and out of all the tight spots is there anything else that needs to be done before its ready to be powdercoated?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    That sounds good to me. Just make sure that
    who ever powdercoats your frame has done bikes
    before so they don't mess up your frame.

Best, John

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Yeah, they've done bikes before, just nothing like mine I guess as he was pretty concerned about what AL oxide sand blasting might do to the frame. I'll do a bit more calling around to see if can find someone that can do a more gentle blast and what it would cost, otherwise I'll probably start the strip next weekend.

I'm getting quite pumped to hitting up some trails a renewed ride!

It's about showing up.

Who told you

Quote Originally Posted by Operandi
    I have a 00 S-Works Stumpjumper (hard tail) that I'm in the process of rebuilding and painting. I had originally planned on having it blasted but haven't found anyone in the area (yet) that has blasting process other than the stand AL oxide that would damage the frame.

I've done some searching and it seems like stripping it with chemical stripper won't be too bad. Once I get the old paint off and out of all the tight spots is there anything else that needs to be done before its ready to be powdercoated?
    that this process wil damage your frame?

In an excellent and pretty thorough discusion on Powder Coating I read this:

"Should I tell the painter what series alloy my frame is made out of before putting in the oven? The only bicycle frame alloy I'm aware of that's a concern is scandium. Steel, aluminum alloys other than scandium, and titanium all coat great. Care needs to be taken with magnesium, too. It won't burst into flames, but it becomes unstable at 300-350F or so, which means it can warp."
    interested
    I did not read the entire thread but if you are go here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ht=powder+coat

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    thanks for that link BERKLE MIKE..... we do bike frames at work and i never gave it much thought about what type materials wouldnt put up with the heat (other than carbon fibre)

as for OP.... not sure why sand blasting would hurt anything on the frame unless its super super thin and they could blast thru it ????? as for the PC if it cant deal with 400* for atleast 10mins then its not gonna work for ya....

if i had had my YETI when i repainted it i would have def. blasted it instead of stripping it...PITA...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well the AL is pretty thin. I weighted the frame and it came in under 3.4 pounds, pretty light for AL. I picked up some stripper this week so I'm gona give it a shot today and see how it goes.

The M4 alloy has mag in it but its a small portion of the metal so it should be stable, unless M4 = Scandium I should be ok with the PC process.

Members who have read this thread: 0