Stripping paint.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Stripping paint.

Getting a trek 4300 frame ready for paint. Whats the best way to strip the paint ? Sand blasting to hard on the aluminuim?

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    There's other media that sandblasters can use that don't tear up the aluminum. Your sandblaster guys should know about this or go somewhere else. The stuff that they use is on the tip of my tongue, but I'm being forgetful.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    We use tiny plastic beads instead of sand on aluminum in my shop. it seems to work pretty well and doesn't damage the aluminum

mtbr member
    use this stuff... I haven't used the aircraft paint stripper, but I have used the "adhesive remover" an it took the paint right off! When I use to have my sportbike, I would use it on my stock powdercoated rims to strip em an then polish. I have also used the same stuff on aluminum and stainless, doesn't hurt it at all. It does take a while though, would probably take you a few hours. grap some throw away brushes an a couple plastic puddy knives an have fun, just keep brushing it on, waiting a few minutes, watch the paint bubble an scrape it off, it'll take a bunch of times to get all of it off but works good an it's at home depot for about 8 bucks a can!

Welcome to KleanStrip.com
    Full time rider part time racer...

See my adventures here..

https://www.instagram.com/projectnortheast/

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I've always used oven cleaner. Leave the frame in the sun for an hour or so to make sure it's warm, then follow the directions on the can. Might cost you ~10 bucks to strip the paint. Any stubborn bits, I use scotch pad. I've done frames (painted) as well as components like cranks (anodised) using oven cleaner.

Texan
    I'm curious why you want to strip the paint? I'm about to re-build an old bike and was thinking of just roughing up the old paint.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I just had a frame stripped. they used plastic media.

Cost me $25. I was going to use a chemical stripper... but it was SURE NICE to just drop it off and pick it up nice and clean.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The paint us really chewed up. And its her first bike since who knows when, so i want her to feel obligated to ride with me

I dont know if anyone in my tiwn does platic or other media. So i may have to use the paint stripper.

Also on the chainstay, it is pretty gouged up from the chain. Can i just fill the pits with dody filler?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I used aircraft paint stripper to remove powder coat from truck coilover spring. Works good.