Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stripping paint.

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  parakaiser 
#1 ·
Getting a trek 4300 frame ready for paint. Whats the best way to strip the paint ? Sand blasting to hard on the aluminuim?

#2 ·
There's other media that sandblasters can use that don't tear up the aluminum. Your sandblaster guys should know about this or go somewhere else. The stuff that they use is on the tip of my tongue, but I'm being forgetful.

Drew

#4 ·
use this stuff... I haven't used the aircraft paint stripper, but I have used the "adhesive remover" an it took the paint right off! When I use to have my sportbike, I would use it on my stock powdercoated rims to strip em an then polish. I have also used the same stuff on aluminum and stainless, doesn't hurt it at all. It does take a while though, would probably take you a few hours. grap some throw away brushes an a couple plastic puddy knives an have fun, just keep brushing it on, waiting a few minutes, watch the paint bubble an scrape it off, it'll take a bunch of times to get all of it off but works good an it's at home depot for about 8 bucks a can!

Welcome to KleanStrip.com

#5 ·
I've always used oven cleaner. Leave the frame in the sun for an hour or so to make sure it's warm, then follow the directions on the can. Might cost you ~10 bucks to strip the paint. Any stubborn bits, I use scotch pad. I've done frames (painted) as well as components like cranks (anodised) using oven cleaner.

#8 ·
The paint us really chewed up. And its her first bike since who knows when, so i want her to feel obligated to ride with me :)

I dont know if anyone in my tiwn does platic or other media. So i may have to use the paint stripper.

Also on the chainstay, it is pretty gouged up from the chain. Can i just fill the pits with dody filler?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.