Formerly PaintPeelinPbody

Storing bikes (dissembled) for long periods

I've got two bikes, an old 1980 Razesa that I'd love to get a few hundred bucks for if I sold it (but it isnt happening) and a 1990 Marin MTB that I could see using if we ever lived in a more urban area. I live someplace with primo, rugged, suspension-worthy trails, and I like going fast (GG mention here.)

Thing is, I haven't used either of these bikes in ages. Maybe 3+ years. My modern MTBs are just so much nicer to use for quick trips and long rides than the oldies. Plus the new bikes are pricey so I want to actually get my use out of them.

I was thinking of putting the old bikes into long term storage, "archive" if you will. Some way that I could pull them out 5 years from now when their use becomes necessary. I'm sorta worried about rust.

Should I just prep them with frame saver, stick them in a box with some sort of anti-moisture gel packet, and be done with it? Construct a sweet wooden box for added protection?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    I've got two bikes, an old 1980 Razesa that I'd love to get a few hundred bucks for if I sold it (but it isnt happening) and a 1990 Marin MTB that I could see using if we ever lived in a more urban area. I live someplace with primo, rugged, suspension-worthy trails, and I like going fast (GG mention here.)

Thing is, I haven't used either of these bikes in ages. Maybe 3+ years. My modern MTBs are just so much nicer to use for quick trips and long rides than the oldies. Plus the new bikes are pricey so I want to actually get my use out of them.

I was thinking of putting the old bikes into long term storage, "archive" if you will. Some way that I could pull them out 5 years from now when their use becomes necessary. I'm sorta worried about rust.

Should I just prep them with frame saver, stick them in a box with some sort of anti-moisture gel packet, and be done with it? Construct a sweet wooden box for added protection?
    First let''s get this out there: I'm no expert. But I do have a 1978 Bruce Gordon road bike that's still in excellent condition. I rarely ride it, but might/could anytime. So there's that.

I Frame Saver'd the frame decades ago.

Seems to me that factors would affect what you do. First being can you keep the bike in a heat/humidity-controlled environment? In other words, inside? This goes a long way to keeping a steel frame rust-free. I live in the PNWet (don't know why, but I have the impression that you do, too) and I keep my ol' girl in the garage. But it's fairly environmentally friendly in there. She's hanging from a ceiling hook just like her harem-mates. Obviously oxidation still happens no matter what so I have to replace tires, brake pads, etc. as time goes on.

Do you live on the coast? If so, give that bike to an inland family member to keep for you. Good luck.
    =sParty

Edit -- Realized you're in Flagstaff. But the reason I initially figured you were in the PNW is because of your avatar, which is a TerraHoe, a tool made by a company called Terra Tech here in Eugene, OR and my personal fav tread tool. I've had / used mine for many years, sharpened the blade many times and even replaced it once. Being 6'2", I also went to a longer-than-stock handle. Damn thing is the bomb for benching and when sharp, goes through unwanted roots like a ditch witch. For the record, most roots are wanted! Carry on...
    Last edited by Sparticus; 07-20-2018 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Figured it out
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

cmg
    passed out in your garden
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparticus View Post
    I do have a 1978 Bruce Gordon road bike that's still in excellent condition.
    =sParty
    pics or it didnt happen......
    always mad and usually drunk......

since 4/10/2009
    are you concealing your true motives, here?

What'dya mean?
    GIS/GPS Pro using ArcFM for Utility Mapping - Always willing to connect with other MTBers in the industry.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PHeller View Post
    What'dya mean?
    Why else would you store bikes dissembled, and not disassembled

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    What you can do is smear grease or petroleum jelly on all of the steel parts. That will stop them rusting and you wipe it off when you take the bikes out again.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Why else would you store bikes dissembled, and not disassembled
    Look Im trying to store the bodies...errr frames for a long period of time without the evide...err metal blee...rusting everywhere.