Steel hard tail - which one???- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Steel hard tail - which one???

OK, I'm after a steel hardtail for XC/Trail riding. I'm after something that can handle a 120-130mm fork, with a head angle around 70. What options do I have? I've been looking aroun but I'm struggling. I'd prefer something that isn't over the top price wise also.

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Are you looking at custom or off the shelf?

For custom - waay to many to list off the top of my head. Google Steel bike frame, custom builder or something similar and you'll get a good start.

For off the shelf... there are a few that appear year after year, and some that pop up in a line every few years. Take a look at Rocky Mountain, and Jamis as they are a few companies that have offered steel hardtails for several years.

Good luck,

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

retro, rusty, freaky..

Well, as long as you're going to go retro and rusty--might as well go freaky too--get a steel SS 29er from Redline or Raleigh--both under 650 (Redline way under at that).

Other than that--I think I'd only go with swteel as a poor man's custom bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I'm looking for an off the shelf frame to build up, and steel appealed as I've heard it takes the edge off. If I wasn't to go steal, are there any ther frames that you guys could recommend with a slackish head angle and able to take 120-130mm forks that would suit XC/trail riding

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    This steel frame has 71.5 HA. I would presume this is meant for a 80-100 mm travel fork or a suspension corrected rigid fork. If you put a 120mm sus fork it will relax the HA to somewhere 70 deg. The kicker here is, if you do jumps the extra leverage of a longish fork might snap where the toptube and downtube meets on the headtube. It would be better if you go custom so they can provide for that. Or, call Jenson and ask if the frame can handle a 120-130mm sus fork.
    Here's a link to a steel frame:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...+Frame+06.aspx

another link:
    http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...660+Frame.aspx

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Look at the newest On-One Inbred with the sliding dropouts. It's designed around 4 and 5 inch forks. It's exactly what you're looking for.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    I've been looking at the Zion myself, tring to figure out if it's a good clyde frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0