Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20

    New question here. Steel frame bike for a 3000 mile trip through Tibet

    Hi all,

    I'm currently on the search for a steel hardtail bike/frame for a 3000 mile trip through Tibet. Front suspension isn't necessary. It shouldn't be a pure touring bike, though, because I'd like to use it as a pure CC bike before and after the trip.

    The frame should cost $ 300 max.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,977

    What about a $99 limit

    I was looking for a cheap used steel frame to convert to Single speed. Crap frames are going for $150 on eBay. <a href="http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&storetyp e=&init=y&pagename=">Nashbar</a> has their own branded frame but check the sizing on the chart first, they come real <i>small</i>. They are also selling a Schwinn Steel frame for really cheap too.

    <a href="http://nycbikes.com/catalog.php?item_type=Mountain&item_cat=FRAMES">NY C bikes</a> has a nice selection of frames for cheap too.

  3. #3
    I like to boogy.
    Reputation: baldy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    61

    NYC Bikes

    I have the NYC Bikes steel frame. It is a nice basic frame that does the trick for me. You can usually pick one up for $99 on ebay, or you can buy directly from their site for $199. You might also look at the the Soma Groove and Jenson's Zion frames; they are right around the $300 mark.

  4. #4
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20
    Thanks for the tips ... I'll take a look at your recommendations right away.

  5. #5
    Illegal Allien
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    255
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderer
    Thanks for the tips ... I'll take a look at your recommendations right away.
    A 3K mile trip through Tibet?! I wish I were you...
    Bikes & Beer!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,977
    Quote Originally Posted by SSPIN
    A 3K mile trip through Tibet?! I wish I were you...
    Wish i was going too.

    With a $300 budget i would definitely get the steel Zion frame, it's made from 853 Reynolds steel which is about twice as strong as most other steels used in making bikes. At over 4 lbs its not a super light 853 frame, so it might be reliable. The EBB could make a nice trekking option if you suffer derailleur problems.

  7. #7
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20
    I've taken a closer look at the suggestions made. The Zion is certainly one of the more interesting frames at the moment.

    I'm also looking at the used bike market ... there are some really decent older steel frames out there. A '92 Team Marin, for example, is on the list, too. It depends how high the auction goes.

    I've also been thinking about upping my budget a bit, but I'm not sure if it's worth it ...

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,977
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderer
    ....I've also been thinking about upping my budget a bit, but I'm not sure if it's worth it ...
    $100-$300 street pricing pretty much hits the <i>production</i> steel frame on the mark. After this there seems to be a no man's land till $800 - $1200 mark you enter the custom realm. If you up your budget to $500 the cheapo Ti frames seem to be the better buy than the steel frames

  9. #9
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    $100-$300 street pricing pretty much hits the <i>production</i> steel frame on the mark. After this there seems to be a no man's land till $800 - $1200 mark you enter the custom realm. If you up your budget to $500 the cheapo Ti frames seem to be the better buy than the steel frames
    I think you're right, but I'd probably extend the lower bracket to around $400.

    I didn't know that there are Ti frames for around $500. I wasn't able to find any using a web search ... which ones were you thinking of?

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,977
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWanderer
    I think you're right, but I'd probably extend the lower bracket to around $400.

    I didn't know that there are Ti frames for around $500. I wasn't able to find any using a web search ... which ones were you thinking of?
    The ones <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7170462185&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1">Icycles<a/> and <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7171546206&category=98 083&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1">Cambria</a> always blowout on eBay. Check their eBay stores, they will have the same frame with a Buynow for slightly more.

  11. #11
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    The ones <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7170462185&rd=1&sspage name=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1">Icycles<a/> and <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7171546206&category=98 083&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1">Cambria</a> always blowout on eBay. Check their eBay stores, they will have the same frame with a Buynow for slightly more.
    Nice, now that's opened a whole new range of options. Thanks!

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    20
    I've decided to stick with steel ... it's probably the safest for my purposes.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    1,244

    Insane prices!

    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt
    I was looking for a cheap used steel frame to convert to Single speed. Crap frames are going for $150 on eBay. <a href="http://www.nashbar.com/results.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&storetyp e=&init=y&pagename=">Nashbar</a> has their own branded frame but check the sizing on the chart first, they come real <i>small</i>. They are also selling a Schwinn Steel frame for really cheap too.

    <a href="http://nycbikes.com/catalog.php?item_type=Mountain&item_cat=FRAMES">NY C bikes</a> has a nice selection of frames for cheap too.
    If this is an example of what this store offers, I would advise shopping anywhere BUT there!:

    http://nycbikes.com/item.php?item_id=509

    $399 for a chromoly frame with a generic suspension(Zoom?) and Acera derailleurs?????

    That is criminal. For not a whole lot more, you can get a Trek 4500 with a good aluminum frame, Rockshox fork, and Deore rear derailleur.

Similar Threads

  1. Mountain bike jargon/ lingo
    By bstguitarist in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 05-26-2005, 12:02 PM
  2. Steel is Real, What exactly does that mean?
    By Boise_pedaler in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: 04-04-2005, 05:50 AM
  3. Forks, Frames and Five Hundred Dollars.
    By AdamOn6thStreet in forum Clydesdales/Tall Riders
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-25-2005, 10:10 PM
  4. If you need to know this.
    By KevinVokeyJ24 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-24-2004, 09:40 AM
  5. Lance's Austin "29er" revealed
    By ncj01 in forum 29er Bikes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-28-2004, 08:14 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.