Steel Bikes Anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Steel Bikes Anyone?

There are not many options out there for steel bikes anymore. At this point steel technology has increased to the point that a steel bike can be as light as a Aluminum or Carbon Fiber model and carry the benefits of Steel. I am currently writing a business plan for a bike company that will develop high performance steel suspension mountain bikes. In my current phase of my plan I am collecting market research about what people think. It would be very helpful for me if you would answer a few questions about your opinions on bikes and your purchasing behavior. The survey is only 12 questions long and will take less than a minute of your time. Thanks!
    Mountain Bike Survey

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I've built two frames. I don't think you can get a steel frame anywhere near as light as aluminum, carbon or Ti. There is a weight penalty of 1 lb or more depending on the size of the frame. A guy I know has built 40 frames and his lightest steel frame is just over 3 lbs. It is a 58 cm road frame made out of true temper S3. His lightest carbon frame is under 2 lbs. BTW, he's a mechanical engineer by trade. I doubt very much you'd ever see a steel hardtail frame much under 4 lbs in a smaller size.

Drew

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Former Bike Wrench
    I love steel hardtails and road bikes...but your on crack if you think you can build them as light as Carbon Fiber

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Its 2011, and carbon is in.

Best, John

T.W.O.
    I did the survey but I'd agree with everyone here so far, there's no way that you can build a steel frame from available tube set lighter than alu, carbon or ti it's just not possible. Your survey is quite vague as well, I wish things are black and white the way you put it. Then again if you offer "It depends" then it would be the most chosen

I rode the indyfab stainless steel road bike a while back it's the coolest thing but I don't know if I'd like that over the ti or carbon though.

If you are doing a nitche marketing then it's awesome but competing with the mainstream current offering I don't know if it would be profitable. Good luck.

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    Its 2011, and carbon is in.

Best, John
    Tell that to Waterford. Their R33 weighs about 2.9 lbs for a size 56CM. That's AL territory.
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post
    Tell that to Waterford. Their R33 weighs about 2.9 lbs for a size 56CM. That's AL territory.
    That's light for a steel frame, 18lb R33 looks nice as well. That said apple to apple Ibis Silk SL is 2.2 lb frame size 58cm, I'm with John carbon is in

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I took your survey, even though it seems like you're pointing a little bit away from where I go as a rider.

My experience with steel is much like everyone else's: 25 years ago. Today you have a couple of "retro" offerings for a slim niche market. But I would love to have a Trek Sawyer set up as a multi-purpose bike with 38mm tires and an internal gear hub.

If I bring another bike home...

My point is that I don't believe you can sell any serious number of steel full-suspension bikes. Too many technical problems to keep on top of.

mtbr member
    would be interesting to compare pricing on that waterford against a like weight aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by CS2 View Post

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I really like steel hardtails and I bought a 14 year old complete bike for $200. Its a great ride, and I went for an old bike because the new steel bikes are too expensive and I cant see that they would be all that much better unless you need 3 inches of travel. If I had enough money for a new, high end AM HT bike, I would go for Ti.