Sram vs Shimano- Mtbr.com

Thread: Sram vs Shimano

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Sram vs Shimano

Ok I'm probably going to start up a big argument over the two but i looking at building up a frame of mine and I'm not sure if I should go with Sram XO or Shimano XTR

I'm leaning tot he Sram because I like the looks and it seems to be a little less expensive

Any and all is welcome

Steve

mtbr member
    May 2004
    either groups work very very well.
    I've had some hassles wih both and sorted them out.
    Both have also been trouble free for very long periods.

I think the group that you prefer to look at would be the one makes you faster.
    I like the Look of XTR so I fly

mtbr member
    Sram seems more popular these days. I think that people think shimano is old fashioned.

I moved to Sram last year after breaking my 3rd XT derrailure in less than a year. I got the kinda cheap x.7 and i still works great today with barley any adjustments.

Freshly Fujified

Vanilla or chocolate?

It's a matter of taste and prefernce. Both work well. I happen to like SRAM as I feel it is a crisper, quieter shift.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    I'll jump in and play and ask my usual question.............why go for those expensive boys when X9/XT work so well, are you a racer boy or well off? Personally I don't think the few grams you save going to the XO/XTR are worth the price you pay for it, if you're that worried about weight then drop a few pounds yourself or look at the wheelset. As far as SRAM v Shimano, I have never personally used SRAM have always had Shimano and it has worked great - right now I have an all XT drivetrain - but I have tried a guys SRAM stuff and didn't like the trigger shifters one bit, much prefer my XT triggers.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

I agree, SRAM, Shimano.....

your looking at a horse a piece. The new XTR stuff though spendy performs very well. They've stiffened up the spring a bit so the shift feels much more positive than the older stuff. The new XO components are great too. And I like what they've both done with the mounting options for the shifters, gives more flexibility for trigger positioning and keeps the bar cleaner and tighter. Anyway, your choice. I've ridden both, and they both perform well. If the shifters were both compatable I'd have a mixed drive train myself. I like the XO front and rear D, but prefer the more traditional shimano triggers, and I prefer SRAM cassettes and chains. But that ain't gonna happen, 1 to 1 and 2 to 1 pull ratios on the shifters just don't mix.

So if you like the looks of the SRAM stuff better, go with it. You won't loose anything in peformance. Each has it quirks that you have to work around, but nothing that you won't be able to get used to. Both systems perform very well.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Cuánto pesa?

A quick flick and a short read......................

(Click>) XTR vs X0

(Click>) The difference between Shimano and SRAM actuation ratios..

Both Shimano XTR and SRAM XO rock

Jake..

PS. I like SRAM on my bike and Shimano on yours
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

to the previous poster

lynx, to answer your previous post I am a racer, and this summer i have a job lined up at a bike shop. So I'm getting parts at price. I plan on doing cross country races with one maybe 2 team endurance races mixed in just for some fun.

I currently have a 5year old Raleigh M50 hard tail mountain bike. Currently it weights in at 40 pounds. not the lights bike in the group today. I'm not looking at having the lights bike out there, because I'm going to use the frame from my Raleigh and its a big beefy AL frame

Steve

Cuánto pesa?
    Hi Steve, (grayfox2014)
    40 pounds, wheres all the weight coming from?

Jake..

mtbr member
    dont think it's 40lbs... thats close to what my bike weighs...

As for sram vs shimano, i like shimano but sram triggers... good thing sram came out with the Attack triggers...

mtbr member
    I don't really know where all the weight comes from (never picked one apart) but I'd say the frame, crappy stock fork, cranks and wheels. Haven't seen a M50, we have M40's and 80's down here and they are pigs that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Pay
    Hi Steve, (grayfox2014)
    40 pounds, wheres all the weight coming from?

Jake..
    To the OP....man you will pi$$ your pants if you make this move in bikes. Seriously it won't even be like night and day it will be like the Earth and Saturn. Dropping 5lbs makes a huge difference, but dropping 12+lbs is absolutely amazing - and that's about what you'll be doing minimum if you go full XTR/XO on even a slightly heavy XC FS frame. You are in for such a treat and wake up call, you will fly on that new rig.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    dunno... 40lbs? I think it would be cheaper to buy a whole new bike with xt or x9 stuff then convert to full xtr and x0

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

its 40 alright

Yah its 40 pounds.

I stepped on the scale and it read 165, then bike up my bike and stepped back on the scale and it the read 205. I did this twice and the exact same weight came up both times.

I'm looking at building my own pair of wheels with mavic 717 rims and Chris king hubs. I want some hubs that are bomb proof and the little extra weight, like DT swiss hubs, I'm not going to care about. since all be dropping weight with this pair of wheels over my old ones.

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    As for sram vs shimano, i like shimano but sram triggers... good thing sram came out with the Attack triggers...
    attack triggers are maddening! new bike has them, half the time when i make a hard landing my thumb taps the cable release trigger and im all out of gear. gripshifters are no better since i change gears when i bunnyhop. I absolutely adore the positive crisp shifting the sram kit provides, but i'm about ready to chuck the x-9 to throw some rapidfire shifters and lx der i have lying around on.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

Members who have read this thread: 0