mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Specialized Hardrock Rigid pirce

I wasn't sure where the best forum for this post, but while dropping off some donations at a Salvation Army today, I saw they had a Specialized Hardrock Cro-Mo rigid frame bike for sale. It was either 15 or 18 speed since it had three cogs on the pedals. The bike looked to be in pretty good shape and the asking price was $8.99. Does this sound like a good price or would the bike be more trouble than it's worth? Appreciate any advice.

MTBR Member
    Seems like a solid price for what I'm assuming is a mid-90s Hardrock. What are your intentions with the bike? If you're trying to tune it up and flip it, it's probably more trouble than it's worth unless the bike is in excellent condition -- even then, it's not really worth much in the end. If you're buying it to fix it up and ride, grab it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I would buy it to ride. My current bike has some issues and I hate to think I'm going to have to sink several dollars in it to get it up to snuff.

mtbr member
    Did you say $8.99? Grab it! What do you have to lose for that price? Even if you have to put $100-200 into it, you get a good used bike for $100-200. If it turns out to not be worth repairing, so what, you lost $9.

I actually know a woman who owns one of these and is still riding it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    It has been grabbed. Bought it Wednesday for $4.99, $5.34 with tax. It is an American-made bike with what appears to be "good" Shimano components, the only thing it needs are front brake pads and either a new tube in the back tire or maybe just some Green Slime. I am really pleased with it. I must have been a good boy and Santa set this up for me.

mtbr member
    holy shite, any bicycle that at least has some working components is worth <$10. I checked a few thrift stores for bicycles yesterday. I was looking for a older rigid mtb that I could convert to a drop-bar bike. "thrift" stores around here jack up crappy bikes to $200-300. it's ridiculous. where in the country did you find such a deal?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    The Salvation Army Store in Thomasville, NC. $8.99 on Friday marked down to $4.99 on Monday. T-ville isn't a hotbed of MTB.