Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc vs Specialized Rockhopper Comp vs Trek 4900- Mtbr.com
    BrassBalled DropbarNinja

Specialized Hardrock Comp Disc vs Specialized Rockhopper Comp vs Trek 4900

Hi guys, i'm thinking of getting a new trail bike ht in the next few months and have been doing some shopping. Whats the difference between the Hardrock and the Rockhopper frame? Looks like the Rockhopper is made with less material so it should be lighter, but how much lighter? How is it compared to the Trek 4900? Also any other bikes in this price range which you guys would recommened? Thanx

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    Hi guys, i'm thinking of getting a new trail bike ht in the next few months and have been doing some shopping. Whats the difference between the Hardrock and the Rockhopper frame? Looks like the Rockhopper is made with less material so it should be lighter, but how much lighter? How is it compared to the Trek 4900? Also any other bikes in this price range which you guys would recommened? Thanx
    I own the 06 RH comp. It is very light indeed. Hard to say how they all compare- you just need to test ride. I am overall quite happy with the RH comp. The air shocks are pretty awesome (RS Tora). The Deore shifting is awesome too. this is my first hi end bike.($750).

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Quote Originally Posted by ps249
    I own the 06 RH comp. It is very light indeed. Hard to say how they all compare- you just need to test ride. I am overall quite happy with the RH comp. The air shocks are pretty awesome (RS Tora). The Deore shifting is awesome too. this is my first hi end bike.($750).
    ooohhh... sorry, type... i meant the rockhopper rh... lol. About how much do you think your rockhopper weighs?

Mar 2006

RH COMP - hands down!

Reasons for not getting the:

1) Trek 4900- the fork is low quality (Judy J1) and does not have the cool features of the Tora fork. It also has less travel (80mm) than the Rockhopper (100mm)
    - the front derailleur is crappier (Acera) than Rockhoppers (Deore)
    - crappy shimano disc brakes
    - shall i go on?

2) Hardrock- Specialized calls it a ATB, what the @#$!
    - has crappy geometry
    - drivetrain sucks compared to the RH's
    - fork also sucks compared to the RH's
    - need I say more?

Bottomline, the RH is just better, then comes the Trek, then the Hardrock as a last resort.

Here are other bikes that you should consider buying:
    Haro V4
    Giant Rainier
    Gary Fisher Tassajara
    Kona Cinder Cone

Good Luck!

Ride long, ride hard.
    Apr 2006

Research

Well, you have to pick your price range before you go out to buy a bike. Make sure you know how much you want to spend first, or you will end up buying a really expensive bike and have no money left for clothing or safety gear or spare parts like inner tubes or GU (which is an awesome pre-ride gel and during your ride energy booster). If you buy the TREK you are paying a lot for name. Specialized is an awesome company that does a lot of research into their bikes, even though GIANT makes them (GIANT also makes TREK and GARY FISHER bikes too). The difference with the Hardrock frame and the RockHopper frame are the weight and the geometry and the components that come on the bike. Both are great bikes to start off with, and you can upgrade parts in the future if you want to make the bike lighter. It just depends what fits you and what price you want to pay.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    i have clothing and parts already... just thinking of a second bike... my current trek 3900 just aint cutting it... lol. The brakes get really stubborn when wet, shifting is laggy, not very light, etc... My usual LBS here has only Specialized, Trek and Cannondale bikes... so i think i'm only gonna be looking into these three companies...

I just paid a visit to my LBS and we were talking the bikes... I asked about the frame difference between the Rockhopper and the Hardrock... The Rockhopper is indeed lighter... but according to the guy the Hardrock is more durable. He tells me though that unless i'm going to be doing some hardcore stuff, the rockhopper is better deal for normal trail riding... So how tough it the Rockhopper compared to the HardrocK? How tough is the SL Alpha Aluminium from the Trek? Cause those are pretty light too

Ride long, ride hard.
    Apr 2006

Agree

I agree with comments on the Specialized frames, the RH is indeed lighter and better suited for trail and XC riding. I'm sure the TREK frame is strong and light, I think it's just up to what you like and what fits you.

BrassBalled DropbarNinja
    Thanx... will be keeping an open mind about all the bikes. All your inputs were deeply appreciated...

Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpercussive
    ooohhh... sorry, type... i meant the rockhopper rh... lol. About how much do you think your rockhopper weighs?
    Weight wise- it is lighter than the gary Fisher wahoo from 2001- I would say around 27 lbs

Members who have read this thread: 0