Some help for a new guy please **new bike update**- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Some help for a new guy please **new bike update**

Hey folks, I am just starting in this sport. I am new to mtn bikes but have rode bmx for years (though its been a few since I was riding). I am wanting to try mtn biking for a source off exercise and it has always looked like a absolute blast! I dot see myself ever getting into anything to rugged as far as trails go. So after reading an going to some lbs I have picked out 2 bikes i am interested in. The first is a connondale trail 5 from my lbs. Next is a hard rock sport disc 29'er (29'er sold)

A listing just popped up about a hour from me for excellent condition 2010 Gary fiaher marlin disc. Has a 19" frame an has 30 miles on it. He is asking 400. I believe I will be picking this up tonight.

I like them both a lot. However the trail 5 is 690 otd from my lbs and the hardrock is a lightly used 2010 model for 425.

The bike will be ridden on the road probly 5-6 times a week (around the neighborhood or at a park) and I will hit trails anywhere 2-6 times a month. Also I am 6'0 200lbs. And as for price the trail 5 is most I can spend unfortunately.

With what is given what would be your choice. If you need any other info just ask. Thanks in advance. I also apologize if this is in the wrong section.
    Last edited by JGguns; 11-23-2011 at 08:03 AM.

Freshly Fujified

I'd go with the Hardrock

If you have test ridden both bikes, and they both fit and feel comfortable, I'd go with the Hardrock. Both bikes are decent bikes for a first bike, but I like the SRAM drivetrain components and the Avid BB5 brakes on the Hardrock. Also, you're saving yourself some money, and I think you're getting better bang for your buck, provided it's in very good condition.

Just one man's opinion.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtb enthusiast
    The 29er, if you’re going to be trail riding at all. Better component specs, too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Okay. So does 425 seem like a fair price. The bike is in excellent condition.

mtb enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by JGguns View Post
    Okay. So does 425 seem like a fair price. The bike is in excellent condition.
    I think so.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just got in touch with the seller and he has sold the the hardrock. He replied that he has a excellent condition 2009 Gary fisHer marlin disc he would sell for 450. It has a 17.5" frame. My buddy has a the same bike with a bigger frame and I like it a lot. I just don't know the specifics. I actually think I would like this better than the hard rock. But not sure if the 17.5" frame is to small.

mtb enthusiast
    Just got in touch with the seller and he has sold the the hardrock. He replied that he has a excellent condition 2009 Gary fisHer marlin disc he would sell for 450. It has a 17.5" frame. My buddy has a the same bike with a bigger frame and I like it a lot. I just don't know the specifics. I actually think I would like this better than the hard rock.
    I'm 6'1 190 lbs and ride a 19.5 (large) frame 29er. I think the 17.5 may be a bit small for you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    I'm 6'1 190 lbs and ride a 19.5 (large) frame 29er. I think the 17.5 may be a bit small for you.
    I am thinking the same.

mtb enthusiast
    That sounds like a pretty decent deal. Look over the frame carefully and make sure there's no cracks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    A listing just popped up about a hour from me for excellent condition 2010 Gary fiaher marlin disc. Has a 19" frame an has 30 miles on it. He is asking 400. I believe I will be picking this up tonight provided it does not sell first.

mtb enthusiast
    A listing just popped up about a hour from me for excellent condition 2010 Gary fiaher marlin disc. Has a 19" frame an has 30 miles on it. He is asking 400. I believe I will be picking this up tonight provided it does not sell first.
    Is it a 29er?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by torreyaz View Post
    Is it a 29er?
    No i don't believe so. Haven't seen pics an it didn't mention it was. If it what I am thinking my buddy had the same bike an I really like his. But until today I was not able to find a used one.

mtb enthusiast
    If you like it, go for it. Personally I would spend a little more and opt for a 29er. There is a BIG difference ( no pun intended) in off road ride quality between a 29er and a 26er.

On wuss patrol
    No i don't believe so. Haven't seen pics an it didn't mention it was. If it what I am thinking my buddy had the same bike an I really like his. But until today I was not able to find a used one.
    If you like the 29er, wait for one. No regrets that way.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    If you like the 29er, wait for one. No regrets that way.
    I like them both, I haven't ridden a 29'er on any type of terrain to see if I would like it more but just test riding I really didn't have much of a preference. The only thing I could say from the few minutes I have been on a 29'er is it didn't seem like I could man handle the bike as much haha. And coming from a bmx'ing back ground I tend to do that a lot. I know I like the marlin from riding my buddy's so I think that what I am gonna go with. I would like to try out a 29'er but for now the the marlin will suit my needs I believe.

Members who have read this thread: 0