Some help on an all mountain frame choice is needed- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation: james-hewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    13

    Some help on an all mountain frame choice is needed

    Sorry to have my first post as just another thread asking for advice, which you're probably sick of, but I'm in a world of to many choices.

    I've been riding for 5 years or so, how ever not serious riding the whole time. I recently have gotten back into riding seriously after having bleeding to the brain and a few hospital visits from it. I am planning on building an all mountain/free ride bike from the frame up. I ride single track, build jumps and stuff to free ride on, and downhill when possible. All mountain/freeride category seems like it will fit me best because of the way I ride/plan to ride. Would you say it's a good idea or bad idea to start with a frame and build it how I want it? Will cost end up being more then a complete bike?

    I have looked at every major/non-major brand I can find and they all seem like they'll work just as good as the other. There's not one frame or bike that pops out and seems like it'll be perfect, they all seem to be equal. What bikes/frames would you advise not to go with? What bikes/frames do you think would be the best in terms of quality, ride feel, and everything else you look for in a good all mountain bike?



    Thanks for all the help, James

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,930
    there are tons of posts like this in the AM forum. The same bikes usually pop up. Santa Cruz, Ibis, Pivot, Banshee, Titus, Trans, Trek, Spec... get the point. Go ride some bikes and see which frame/suspension designs you like to narrow the search. Some brands do better in one line than they do on another. Your question is too broad - youo don't even give us a budget.

    If you buy a complete bike, will you begin upgrading it as soon as youo get it?

    How much cash do you have and will you be patient?

    I have purchased one bike and built up 2. One of the reasons I built myself is that I like to do it. The other reason I built my bikes is that I always find fault with the fork and wheels on the bikes that have been in my price range - about $2k. By building myself, I can go cheaper on the parts that I think are not so important and spend more money on the fork and wheels. (I kill shitty wheels quickly) For example, I don't need XT/XTR cranks, top of the line hydro's and $100 handlebars / seat posts / stems.

    For example, if you get a frame with a 1.5" HT, you can get a new revelation for a song and save a few hundred right there. Good deals can be had but you need to look around.

    Have fun buying or building.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: james-hewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    there are tons of posts like this in the AM forum. The same bikes usually pop up. Santa Cruz, Ibis, Pivot, Banshee, Titus, Trans, Trek, Spec... get the point. Go ride some bikes and see which frame/suspension designs you like to narrow the search. Some brands do better in one line than they do on another. Your question is too broad - youo don't even give us a budget.

    If you buy a complete bike, will you begin upgrading it as soon as youo get it?

    How much cash do you have and will you be patient?

    I have purchased one bike and built up 2. One of the reasons I built myself is that I like to do it. The other reason I built my bikes is that I always find fault with the fork and wheels on the bikes that have been in my price range - about $2k. By building myself, I can go cheaper on the parts that I think are not so important and spend more money on the fork and wheels. (I kill shitty wheels quickly) For example, I don't need XT/XTR cranks, top of the line hydro's and $100 handlebars / seat posts / stems.

    For example, if you get a frame with a 1.5" HT, you can get a new revelation for a song and save a few hundred right there. Good deals can be had but you need to look around.

    Have fun buying or building.
    For a budget I'll say $2500, how ever if more is needed to get what i want then I am willing to pay it. The fun of building it is also one reason why I was going to go that route, and also that I have parts that i can take off other bikes and spares already.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: james-hewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    there are tons of posts like this in the AM forum. The same bikes usually pop up. Santa Cruz, Ibis, Pivot, Banshee, Titus, Trans, Trek, Spec... get the point. Go ride some bikes and see which frame/suspension designs you like to narrow the search. Some brands do better in one line than they do on another. Your question is too broad - youo don't even give us a budget.

    If you buy a complete bike, will you begin upgrading it as soon as youo get it?

    How much cash do you have and will you be patient?

    I have purchased one bike and built up 2. One of the reasons I built myself is that I like to do it. The other reason I built my bikes is that I always find fault with the fork and wheels on the bikes that have been in my price range - about $2k. By building myself, I can go cheaper on the parts that I think are not so important and spend more money on the fork and wheels. (I kill shitty wheels quickly) For example, I don't need XT/XTR cranks, top of the line hydro's and $100 handlebars / seat posts / stems.

    For example, if you get a frame with a 1.5" HT, you can get a new revelation for a song and save a few hundred right there. Good deals can be had but you need to look around.

    Have fun buying or building.
    For a budget I'll say $2500, how ever if more is needed to get what i want then I am willing to pay it. The fun of building it is also one reason why I was going to go that route, and also that I have parts that i can take off other bikes and spares already.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,930
    Quote Originally Posted by james-hewitt
    I have looked at every major/non-major brand I can find and they all seem like they'll work just as good as the other. There's not one frame or bike that pops out and seems like it'll be perfect, they all seem to be equal.
    This is because there are very few "bad" bikes out there now. You are starting from scratch, basically, and you need to go RIDE some bikes to start narrowing down your list. Different bikes will ride differently based on their suspension design and geometry. More trail riding would lean towards a 68/69 deg HTA while more DH/Freeride would yield a slacker HTA. Want a bike that pedals really well vs similar travel bikes? Want a light weight frame? Want an overy burley frame? All factors in your selection process.

    Your budget still doesn't tell us much because you claim to have "some" parts to use. Look at what parts you have that can transfer. More or less, the universal parts like brakes, cranks, wheels, etc. Will you need a frame and fork and nice wheels? Frame only? For example, if you will need a frame only, there really isn't much that is out of your price range so go nuts. If you need a fork, plan on $500-600 for the fork which still leaves you with about $2k for a frame. Need/want nice wheels or need a TA front wheel? Subtract $$$ for those as well.

    When I built my bikes, I did one based on frame I had chosenand the other based on a budget that I had to adhere to for the frame. The latter was easier because there are not that many frames in the $1k and under price range. Ended up building a Salsa El Kaboing.

    if all you are looking for is dribble... at $2500 I'd be looking at an Ibis Mojo, Pivot Mach 5, Nomad, Butcher, Rune, Remedy, Enduro, Covert, El Guapo, Reign, etc., etc. Those mojo's look damn nice.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: james-hewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    This is because there are very few "bad" bikes out there now. You are starting from scratch, basically, and you need to go RIDE some bikes to start narrowing down your list. Different bikes will ride differently based on their suspension design and geometry. More trail riding would lean towards a 68/69 deg HTA while more DH/Freeride would yield a slacker HTA. Want a bike that pedals really well vs similar travel bikes? Want a light weight frame? Want an overy burley frame? All factors in your selection process.

    Your budget still doesn't tell us much because you claim to have "some" parts to use. Look at what parts you have that can transfer. More or less, the universal parts like brakes, cranks, wheels, etc. Will you need a frame and fork and nice wheels? Frame only? For example, if you will need a frame only, there really isn't much that is out of your price range so go nuts. If you need a fork, plan on $500-600 for the fork which still leaves you with about $2k for a frame. Need/want nice wheels or need a TA front wheel? Subtract $$$ for those as well.

    When I built my bikes, I did one based on frame I had chosenand the other based on a budget that I had to adhere to for the frame. The latter was easier because there are not that many frames in the $1k and under price range. Ended up building a Salsa El Kaboing.

    if all you are looking for is dribble... at $2500 I'd be looking at an Ibis Mojo, Pivot Mach 5, Nomad, Butcher, Rune, Remedy, Enduro, Covert, El Guapo, Reign, etc., etc. Those mojo's look damn nice.
    You are correct, the parts I will have will be the universal parts. I can also take the rims off of my bike now and either buy cheaper ones for the old bike or just keep switching them over.

    I will try and see what bikes a local shop has to demo ride and take a look t what they have there

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,930
    Quote Originally Posted by james-hewitt
    I will try and see what bikes a local shop has to demo ride and take a look t what they have there
    This is where you need to start. Once you can come back (hit the AM forum) and either ask about a few specific bikes or suspension designs you'll get much better responses.

    Pay attention to the amouont of travel, suspension design and characteristics of the bikes that you ride and end up liking. Then you can start to search for a few more bikes that fit what you are looking for. You'll be able to ask for opionions about bikes that ride similar, compare well to, are lighter than, are burllier than...X

    Have fun. Wish I had $2500 to drop on a new bike.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: james-hewitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    This is because there are very few "bad" bikes out there now. You are starting from scratch, basically, and you need to go RIDE some bikes to start narrowing down your list. Different bikes will ride differently based on their suspension design and geometry. More trail riding would lean towards a 68/69 deg HTA while more DH/Freeride would yield a slacker HTA. Want a bike that pedals really well vs similar travel bikes? Want a light weight frame? Want an overy burley frame? All factors in your selection process.

    Your budget still doesn't tell us much because you claim to have "some" parts to use. Look at what parts you have that can transfer. More or less, the universal parts like brakes, cranks, wheels, etc. Will you need a frame and fork and nice wheels? Frame only? For example, if you will need a frame only, there really isn't much that is out of your price range so go nuts. If you need a fork, plan on $500-600 for the fork which still leaves you with about $2k for a frame. Need/want nice wheels or need a TA front wheel? Subtract $$$ for those as well.

    When I built my bikes, I did one based on frame I had chosenand the other based on a budget that I had to adhere to for the frame. The latter was easier because there are not that many frames in the $1k and under price range. Ended up building a Salsa El Kaboing.

    if all you are looking for is dribble... at $2500 I'd be looking at an Ibis Mojo, Pivot Mach 5, Nomad, Butcher, Rune, Remedy, Enduro, Covert, El Guapo, Reign, etc., etc. Those mojo's look damn nice.
    You are correct, the parts I will have will be the universal parts. I can also take the rims off of my bike now and either buy cheaper ones for the old bike or just keep switching them over.

    I will try and see what bikes a local shop has to demo ride and take a look t what they have there

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.