Soma vs. On-One vs. Voodoo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Soma vs. On-One vs. Voodoo

Hey everyone,

I'm planning to build a hardtail this spring and have been looking at a few different frames. Unfortunately I don't have much of an opportunity to try out any of them. I've narrowed down my choices to the Voodoo Hoodoo, On-One 456, and Soma Groove or Analog.

Mostly gonna be used for cross country type stuff. Not much technical stuff or long, steep descents around here.

Anyone have experience with these frames? Any advice?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm planning to build a hardtail this spring and have been looking at a few different frames. Unfortunately I don't have much of an opportunity to try out any of them. I've narrowed down my choices to the Voodoo Hoodoo, On-One 456, and Soma Groove or Analog.

Mostly gonna be used for cross country type stuff. Not much technical stuff or long, steep descents around here.

Anyone have experience with these frames? Any advice?
    The On-One Inbred or Scandal would be a better choice than the 456 for the riding you have in mind.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks, Shiggy. I looked at the Inbred a while ago and completely forgot about it. I'll have to consider that one as well.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Thanks, Shiggy. I looked at the Inbred a while ago and completely forgot about it. I'll have to consider that one as well.
    David,

We have the Inbred, Scandal and 456 in stock.
    On-One and Titus USA Store — Frames - On One

If you want a complete bike we have Whippet carbon XC bikes at a heck of a deal On-One and Titus USA Store — On-One Whippet X9 Complete Bike
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr "member"
    I have a Voodoo hoodoo. Very basic but well made frame. It's a bit on the heavy side and no offense to Voodoo, but I always thought the current Voodoo frames were made to be more inexpensive than in the past. Regardless, I'm happy with my purchase and I don't think you'd be wrong to choose the Voodoo.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I haven't tried On-One or Voodoo, but I have two Soma bikes in the garage: a Smoothie Road, and a Buena Vista mixte. I've been very happy with the quality of the frames, no weirdness or issues whatsoever - clean welds, straight as can be. I also like the Tange Prestige tubing.

Hi.
    I've owned a few Voodoos. Older models. Very happy with them, but I'm not as impressed with the new stuff. I'd choose On-One or Soma before I chose Voodoo again, because you get equivalent or better quality for the same or cheaper.

mtbr member
    I work for a shop and I built up a bokor and a hoo doo at various times. voodoos are good bikes for the money and ride well. I'm a fan of voodoo sytle over the others you mentioned. Just make sure you use tread locker on the sliding dropouts

mtbr member
    vertical drop outs, nevermind.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks for the response, guys.

I should've mentioned this in my first post but just forgot about it. I'm 5'8" and currently ride 16" frames with ~21.5" top tubes. Any possibility of problems with the fit on any of these? I know the Voodoo has a strange (to me) range in sizing and, IIRC, the On-One frames have longer top tubes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Duplicate post
    Last edited by jten9; 01-20-2012 at 08:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    (Crap, sorry multiple edits, I keep fat fingering submit from my tablet!)

I have an older generation On One Inbred 26", set up hardtail 1x9; and a new Voodoo Soukri 29er rigid ss.

I never had an older Voodoo, but the build quality seems on par with my inbred, so I personally wouldn't worry about quality. The Soukri uses 631 tubing if that makes any difference to you (doesnt really matter to me). Both ride very nice, with a quality "steel" feel; but keep in mind I have a pre-CEN inbred that has the smaller diameter top tube (possibly a slightly more compliant ride than the newer generation?)

Regarding sizing, I'd say pick size according to tt length. Inbreds seem to have a slightly longer tt per given size, where my Soukri ran shorter (but taller, which I disregarded) per listed size. I like approximately 23" top tubes, and I have a 16" inbred 26er and 17" Soukri 29er, both cockpits set up nicely within millimeters of each other. I'm pretty picky when it comes to bike fit, and like my xc bikes to fit identically so I can swap bikes with minimal (no) difference in feel.

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Thanks for the response, guys.

I should've mentioned this in my first post but just forgot about it. I'm 5'8" and currently ride 16" frames with ~21.5" top tubes. Any possibility of problems with the fit on any of these? I know the Voodoo has a strange (to me) range in sizing and, IIRC, the On-One frames have longer top tubes.
    21.5" tt seems a bit short for xc for someone your height? But I know its personal preference, so that being the case, you would need the 14" Inbred. I'm not familiar with the 26" voodoo sizing, but the Soukri 29er comes in small sizes. I ride a 17" with 23"tt; but they also offer 14" (21.75" tt) and 16" (22.25" tt).

Sent using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jten9 View Post
    21.5" tt seems a bit short for xc for someone your height?
    That's kinda what I was thinking. My main bike is more of a "trail" bike...more upright. It's nice for a lot of stuff but I wasn't sure if that kind of fit would be good for xc. I haven't ridden an xc bike in a few years and that one was a size or two too big for me. Thanks for bringing it up.

I think I've got it narrowed down to the Voodoo and On-One. Now I just need to find a shop within reasonable driving distance to try some out.

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Members who have read this thread: 0