mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. Smoothie or HH100?

Need to get some input here folks please....I am a happy YBB owner for the last 4 yrs and have no complaints about the ride whatsoever. But long epic rides on the YBB is starting to leave me a little sore all over. Haven't changed the cockpit so my riding position is still the same. So here I am surfing through this site and WHAM-O, I spy the HH100X pics and I get all fluttery inside. But, I am product loyal so off to Kent's site and there's the Smoothie; sweet and svelt. My current trail rides are primarily in NorCal, from the ocean to Downeville; Kirkwood and North Star.

So here's the situation; I am wanting an all-day ride bike of epic proportions. Comfort and handling are paramount issues. Would the 3" travel of the Smoothie be sufficient or would the 4" of the HH100X be more ideal assuming match front travel forks? Another caveat, $$ is not an issue.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

New Moots Cinquo-something?

If you are a diehard Moots fan, I predict that you will not be satisfied by anything else. The HH and the Racer X-100 are both superb bikes though, so I wouldn't rule them out. I went from a YBB to a 3" travel bike, to a 4" travel bike, and I must say that the 4" bike is perfect for xc riding for me. My focus is long xc rides and some endurance racing. I would recomend against the Smoothie due to the 3" limitation and the rear end flex it exhibits-unless you are a lightweight (under 155 lbs?). Moots will be making a 5" bike with a Ventana built rear end, that probably will still be light, and since it is custom, you could have it built around a 4" fork, and a low BB for a more xcish ride if you wanted.
    I am looking for a new frame now and the Racer X-100 is on the top of my list-light, stiff, and the perfect geometry for me-but if you are totally Moots loyal I bet you could be really happy with the new Moots bike.

mtbr member
    Have you checked out the new Giant Trance at all? I don't know that they're available in the shops yet but the quick reviews I've read from the dirt demo at Interbike makes it sound like this would be an ideal choice for your stated riding.

Check out the Giant boards for updates. A LBS owner got a low end version in, swapped out a bunch of the parts last weekend and raved about the ride.

Cheers!
    -Ian

Kam
    A hopped on pop.

if you have a fetish for ti...

if you want ti and have the cash, you should check out a titus racer x or racer x100. they are avaiable in ti.

the racer x design is one of the more efficient designs out there, so i've read. if you do a search in the weenie forum, search for ss-mb7's (now know as 1speed_Mike, i think) titus racer x 100 ti...a beautful damn bike he used in the trans rockies race.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Go Hammerhead...

Quote Originally Posted by verrocchio100
    Need to get some input here folks please....I am a happy YBB owner for the last 4 yrs and have no complaints about the ride whatsoever. But long epic rides on the YBB is starting to leave me a little sore all over. Haven't changed the cockpit so my riding position is still the same. So here I am surfing through this site and WHAM-O, I spy the HH100X pics and I get all fluttery inside. But, I am product loyal so off to Kent's site and there's the Smoothie; sweet and svelt. My current trail rides are primarily in NorCal, from the ocean to Downeville; Kirkwood and North Star.

So here's the situation; I am wanting an all-day ride bike of epic proportions. Comfort and handling are paramount issues. Would the 3" travel of the Smoothie be sufficient or would the 4" of the HH100X be more ideal assuming match front travel forks? Another caveat, $$ is not an issue.

Thanks!
    The Hammerhead is just a better design. Hands down! If you want a 3" bike, go for the Racer X. The Smoothie's design is very dated. My humble opinion.

Jay