mtbr member
    Nov 2018

small dents. should i be worried?

I have some small dents on the bottom right of my top tube from when I was working on it . At most 1cm deep. Would you guys think this would compromise the integrity of my frame? It's a 6061 aluminum frame. If anything I mostly do regular all mountain riding.
    small dents. should i be worried?-l.jpgsmall dents. should i be worried?-thumbnail.jpg

mtbr member
    Being that they are not edgy or gouged I would venture to say that they are fine. I have seen worse than that still maintain structural integrity. If they had gouges or sharp dent creases they could produce a higher stress concentration and sooner crack than the rest of the frame. Regularly inspect the areas for cracks (like when you wash it), but I wouldn't retire it just yet.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mbtr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcReyes View Post
    I have some small dents on the bottom right of my top tube from when I was working on it . At most 1cm deep. Would you guys think this would compromise the integrity of my frame? It's a 6061 aluminum frame. If anything I mostly do regular all mountain riding.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	l.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	170.7 KB 
ID:	1225781Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thumbnail.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	1225782
    It's your fault and it won't fail instantly if it does. So it is what it is and don't obsess over it. Top tubes aren't super stressed frame members, and those dents don't have any massive stress risers... so it's probably fine. Among aluminums, 6061 is pretty tolerant of abuse, for whatever that's worth.

Worrying about it won't do you any good, so don't. It probably doesn't matter.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

mtbr member
    I have a much deeper dent on the side of my top tube from falling on a rock garden. Bike's been fine and this happened 5 years ago. Alu frame. I've also seen plenty of dented chainstays on FS bikes that have no problems.

Btw, you mean 1mm deep right? These don't look anywhere close to 1cm, besides I don't think the metal would have deformed that much without failing.

slow
    I wouldn't worry about it. Just keep an eye on it. I bought this 6061 hardtail bike used with this dent in the downtube. I put a similar dent in the other side in a crash shortly after buying the bike. I have since put 4400 hard trail miles on it, including several races, and have had no issues.

small dents. should i be worried?-1001181603c.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Your frame is more likely to fail at the welds

Dents are worse where the frame is loaded under compression than tension, as it could lead to buckling. I wouldn't worry though.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk