Slack and short ~140mm duallies- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Slack and short ~140mm duallies

So I'm feeling the bug for a new bike. My current bike is a new old stock 2007 Specialized FSRXc (100mm dually) that i picked up in Jan this year for not much money...it was bought on a bit of whim to see if I'd get back into MTB after about 15 years off a bike. Turns out I've ridden at every opportunity all this year. Anyway, my point is that the bike was bought without any research or planning. So now I want upgrade with some research and planning.

I think a short-ish wheelbase and slack-ish head angle work for me. I've come to this conclusion after putting a 120mm Manitou Minute Pro onto the FSRXc, and noticing a really good improvement in front end grip (the step from a Tora 302 probably helps too, but I've noticed the improvement on smooth terrain where damping improvements are probably less of a factor). This probably gives the FSRXc a 68o head angle, and a wheelbase slightly longer than the stock 1116mm (size large frame). In general I'm happy with how the current bike handles.

As my riding is getting back to where it once was, I'm getting back into a fairly playfull riding style...I'll tend to go for the fun line (with maybe some drops or whaveter) over a more efficient XC line. So I wouldn't mind a bit more travel. In general the local trails are pretty well groomed...to the point that the downhill aces at my LBS are choosing to race on AM bikes like RM Slayers over full blown DH bikes. So for me wanting to have a bit of fun, around the 140mm travel seems about right - and a 160mm AM bike is probably overkill.

So shortish, slackish, 140mm duallies. My research has currently identified too bikes of interest:

Trek Remedy and Jamis Dakar XCT.

Both run a 67-67.5 head angle (depending on size) and a 113-115cm wheelbase with ~43.5cm chainstays. I suspect they'd be fairly playfull bikes.

Trek is a brand I've known of forever, and wouldn't have any relability fears...but Jamis is an unknown quantity for me...what is the general opinion on Jamis? I have a great LBS that stocks Rocky Mountain and Jamis, but not Trek...so LBS loyalty would have me looking closely at the Jamis unless there's a reason not to.

The Trek looks cooler for what that's worth.

Any general advice for me regarding the sort of bike I think will work for me?

What other bikes might I be missing, that I should be considering?

Thanks for the help!

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp Evo.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ride a Jamis XCT and love it. I have never ridden the Remedy, so I cannot comment on that. As far as quality goes you should check the Jamis forum. The XCT 2.0 thread more specifically. Apparently some people have had problems with th '09 frame (I have an '09 3.0 and hav had no issues). If you continue to read through the thread though, it appears that Jamis is replacing these frames within days with the 2011 models. So, at least you know they are backing their product 100%. Of course the '11 frames are considerably different than the '09 frames. Can't decide if I want mine to break or not!! HAHA! The newer frames look sweet!!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid View Post
    I do like the look of these...especially the expert carbon...just worried about the overall length. Fortunately, guess who's having a demo day this weekend...so hopefully they might have one I can try.

I ride a Jamis XCT and love it. I have never ridden the Remedy, so I cannot comment on that. As far as quality goes you should check the Jamis forum. The XCT 2.0 thread more specifically. Apparently some people have had problems with th '09 frame (I have an '09 3.0 and hav had no issues). If you continue to read through the thread though, it appears that Jamis is replacing these frames within days with the 2011 models. So, at least you know they are backing their product 100%. Of course the '11 frames are considerably different than the '09 frames. Can't decide if I want mine to break or not!! HAHA! The newer frames look sweet!!!
    Sadly there doesn't seem to be any xct's around to kick the tyres of...so that might knock it off the list a bit. Would be nice to try one out. Good they're back their product though.

T.W.O.
    Ibis Mojo SLr/ HD

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys...it's been hard to find test bikes around here. So far I've been able to dirt test a RM Slayer and a Spesh Enduro...I've certainly accepted an all-mountain rig is overkill for me (but of the two I'd go the Slayer). I've street tested a RM Altitude...and so far it's looking like a strong contender. I was really hoping Specialized would have some Stumpy's at the test day today, but they were all 29ers (as if it's not hard enough just choosing the right 26er, to then have the prospect of the right 29er thrown in the ring as well!). We'll see what else crops up for test ride.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Test rode one of these bad boys yesterday (only on tarmac though)...even so, wow! Rad bike. I clicked with this thing big time. I reckon this is the direction I'll be going.

I also test rode a 2010 Pivot Mach 5...but it really didn't grab me.

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by DurtDigglah View Post
    Test rode one of these bad boys yesterday (only on tarmac though)...even so, wow! Rad bike. I clicked with this thing big time. I reckon this is the direction I'll be going.

I also test rode a 2010 Pivot Mach 5...but it really didn't grab me.
    Do you know why you like one over the others on the test ride, are you making mental note? Is it suspension design, geometry, or set up? When you test the bike do they spend some time to at least set up suspension for you? Or you just based your experience on the last tested rider weight and riding preference.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Good questions!

All up I've test ridden a RM Slayer and Altitude, Specialized Enduro and SJ EVO, and the Pivot Mach 5. Obviously this is far from every offering out there...there's just practial limitations to what I can find to ride; particularly when it comes to custom build bikes like Ibis, Yeti, Santacruz etc).

In simplest terms, the SJ Evo has the thrash me feel of the Slayer (thanks to the slack geometry, short stem and wide bars), while feeling like less bike beneath me (thanks to less travel and weight). The SJ Evo also did this while remaining stiff and precise. The Enduro felt very long. The RM Altitude is a very nice bike...it's just a bit more sensible then the SJ Evo in its geometry...I want fun and playful.

All the shops were good and spent time setting me up on the bikes.

I guess there is also some x-factor involved...the evo just felt right. Next choice would be the RM Altitude, which would no doubt climb better than the evo based on geometry...but for me, the climbs are just a means to a sweet downward end.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Get it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Get it.
    Lil help
    http://forums.mtbr.com/specialized/2...vo-750654.html

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I had been looking at the Comp Evo, but then I discovered the 2012 Remedy 9. I know it's a substantial difference in price, but that is what I will be going with in the next couple of weeks.

Honestly, I would say go with the Comp rather than the Expert. Call me hard headed, but I really am not sold on the carbon fiber mountain bike craze. If they had an Aluminum Evo that isn't as expensive as the Expert, that would be awesome. If they didn't have so many damn 29ers (again, call me hard headed) in the Stumpy line up, it would make sense to put a bike like that in the mix.

Just for kicks, these are the reasons I decided to go with the Remedy.
    -It will pedal better
    -It is an AM bike that I can also rip XC on, as well as some DH
    -The suspension design is far superior to the FSR. Trek has more research into their stuff than damn near every other large brand combined.
    -I want Shimano.
    -I want DRCV (in laymen's terms, amazing small bump compliance, super pedal-able, endless feeling travel) in the fork and shock.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I'll check out a Remedy 9 this week i think...it definitely fits my budget and specs.

A mid level stumpy evo would be great though. I spoke to the bike shop today hoping they could upgrade a few things on a Comp Evo (primarily the shock)...but no dice. Not really how spesh role I guess.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Hey what's the weight difference between the comp evo and the remedy 9?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Well if I had 5 posts I would make a thread but this one seems relevant.

Diggler, let me know what you decide because I'm looking for similar characteristics in a bike. I got an 05 iguana for 200 on craigslist last year just so I could join a friend off road. Turns out I like mtb a shitload and ride extensively one day a week.

I'm in NE Oklahoma and we have lots of rocky, semi-technical terrain. My rides are usually around 10 miles. I'm looking for something that will allow for moderate dirt jumping. Not that I focus on DJ but I sure enjoy it.

Right now I'm leaning towards a Giant Reign. There's a new Trance X2 on craigslist for 1500, but if I'm dropping money on a new one I want one that suits exactly what I want to ride.

FWIW I'm 6' and weigh 150.

Sorry for derailing and thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    aarondsp...wish I had the answers for you! This is a tricky market sector for me at the moment.

This is where I'm now at:

2012 Stumpy Comp Evo for $3100
    2012 Rocky Mountain Altitude ~$3800 (ex demo bike)
    and the new contender:
    2011 Devinci Dixon RC $3500 (ex demo, sight unseen)..specs: Vélos DEVINCI

Can't find a Trek Remedy to test ride.

Prices are in Aussie dollars, but you could probably work out the value based off the Stumpy comp evo.

The Devinci is definitely a wild card. It's a got a nice overall spec, and very similar to the Stumpy Evo geometry-wise. In terms of latest trends, the Dixon misses out on ISCG tabs. The Devinci wins in terms of boutique cudos. Ugh...what to do!!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    If I wanted to spend 3+K on one I think it'd be a lot harder decision.

Hucknroll.com has 2011 Slayer 50s for 2200. That seems like a damn good deal to me, and I think I may jump on it.

Having not test ridden any bikes and buying online makes me a little wary, but I'm damn confident in my internet research

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Decision made:

Going to get it dirty in a few hours when the heat drops off my...it's nasty hot today!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    is that the devinci? i ended up getting the slayer 50... should be here by the end of the week.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Specialized Stumpy Comp Evo. Can't wait to spend more hours on it.

The Slayer should be pretty rad. There's a 2012 Slayer 50 at my LBS that looks pretty tasty.