Size 19 or 21 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2006

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Size 19 or 21 Specialized S-Works Stumpjumper?

Hey guys! Haven't posted in a while but I need some info please. I have been riding a 2002 19" S-Works Stumpjumper for some time now and I am in the market for a new ride. My question is...should I stick with the same size 19 frame or go for a larger size 21 frame? I have a 36" inseam and I am 6'1" 175#. This bike has worked out good for me for the most part but I tend to look a little big on it. I use a setback seatpost and a 90mm stem with flat bars. I was just wondering if I should explore the larger size? Any help would be greatly appreciated. -Andy

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    That 19" measurement is just a rough estimate, to be honest, and really shouldn't be the only thing you go on. What you want to do is ride the different sizes, if possible, and see what feels good. Or, you can have the LBS measure you and determine what would be a good fit. You say you're 6'1" with a 36" inseam? I'm about 5'11" with a 32"-33" inseam. That's a 2" height difference, with a 3"-4" difference in the leg length. Since the 19" frame is a pretty good fit for me, I'd just guess you'll want a slightlly taller frame, so the 21" would fit the bill in that aspect. However, the 3"-4" leg difference with a 2" height difference would me you have a slightly shorter torso/total height. When you go to try the 21", I'd be wary of the bike feeling a bit too long.
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

There's no app for this.

Never mind frame size...

what you want is the right cockpit size, that is, the effective top tube length. with your butt on the saddle and hands on the bars, the bike must feel like it's made just for you. Nail that part, and you'll discover frame size is but a guideline that varies from bike model to model and mfr to mfr. Just like shoes, the frame size is an indicator. Get the right TT length, and then expect a large smile.

Jim

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I currently am riding the 19 size and have the possibility to buy a 21 size. I'm just wondering if I should stay with this size (which fits pretty darn good) or buy the larger frame. Thanks for the advice. -Andy

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well, it sounds like you are kind of between sizes. Since you are looking to buy a pretty nice bike, I'd find a knowledgeable salesperson / dealer that will work through this decision with you. Your height and leg length are two variables, but your torso and arm length play into the decision as well.

There's no app for this.

the point is that

Quote Originally Posted by ibbykn1
    I currently am riding the 19 size and have the possibility to buy a 21 size. I'm just wondering if I should stay with this size (which fits pretty darn good) or buy the larger frame. Thanks for the advice. -Andy

a 2002 19" frameset might have a different TT length than that of a new bike. And you're on a setback seat post etc etc etc.

You need to discover the right ETT for your new ride BEFORE you buy something. Get yourself to an LBS and get fitted correctly and try out a few bikes to nail down that ETT measurement, it's really key.

Jim

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

thanks

for the advice! I will check with a shop on this. happy trails!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Top Tube Length

I like the advice JimC is giving you. You want to be concerned with how long the top tube is. The seatpost height is very adjustable. The interesting thing is the longer your legs are compared to your upper body, the smaller you want the bike to be relative to your leg length. Make sure the bike fits your upper body. And if you're on the cusp, longer is always better.

Members who have read this thread: 0