Single or Double walled rims?- Mtbr.com
    Ex mxer
    Jun 2010

New question here. Single or Double walled rims?

I am in the process of buying a new bike and am having problems with identifying the wall type on the bontrager rims on the Trek 4300 and 3900 bikes, i.e. are they single or double walled. The 3900 has Bontrager 550s and the 4300 has the Camino rims. I have gleaned enough info to know that I need to get enough bike that I don't outgrow it's capabilites too soon. I have been adviced to go with double walled rims for durability and to reduce the need for truing. I come from an offroad motorcycle background where rims are always double walled minimum. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    i think they are double walled if i remember correct from when i had mine.

mtbr member
    If you're not sure, it's easy enough to find out.
    Take off a tire. Look in the spoke nipple holes, under the rimstrip. You'll be able to see if it is double or singlewalled.

That said, any name brand rims (Bontrager) should be double wall. All but the cheapest rims are.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Single wall rims were very common 20 years ago. But I don't think any "real" bike comes with them now. You would probably have to go to Walmart to find a bike with single wall rims.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2015 KHS Sixfifty Team
    2019 Salsa Warbird
    2019 Canyon Endurace
    1987 Haro RS1

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by GrampBredo
    If you're not sure, it's easy enough to find out.
    Take off a tire. Look in the spoke nipple holes, under the rimstrip. You'll be able to see if it is double or singlewalled.

That said, any name brand rims (Bontrager) should be double wall. All but the cheapest rims are.
    lol Bontrager is just Treks name for there components they make....overpriced for sure
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

IdontShootPeopleAnyMore
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    Single wall rims were very common 20 years ago. But I don't think any "real" bike comes with them now. You would probably have to go to Walmart to find a bike with single wall rims.
    absolutely untrue I work in a shop that has and sells alot of single walled rims...

but we also mostly sell beach cruizers and hybrids... and the only time there is a "real" mountain bike in there is when I take mine to work for service...
    What mountain bike forum do pirates use? .....

MTB-arrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Singletrack Slayer
    Quote Originally Posted by DriveByBikeShooting
    absolutely untrue I work in a shop that has and sells alot of single walled rims...

but we also mostly sell beach cruizers and hybrids... and the only time there is a "real" mountain bike in there is when I take mine to work for service...

LOL That is a good one, I have seen a lot of entry level bikes (mountain) that have single wall rims, even at a 500 price point.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

Members who have read this thread: 1