Short people bikes....help !!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Short people bikes....help !!!

Test rode the Santa Cruz Juliana and didn't like the feel of the ride-however, the fit was perfect. Rode the Santa Cruz Blur (small frame) loved the feel of the ride-BUT-the frame is too large for me. I cannot have a standover height any higher than 27"

So what I am looking for is a multi-pivot full suspension bike, fully built for around 2,500$

Help????? thanks....

mtbr member

Sort folks unite

I can relate. If you can find a small burner it'd be a good option. If not look into a Titus. The motolite can be built for $2500 easily and if you watch the sales, specials and classifieds you could build a Racer X for $2500. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Tough to find for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by love2climb
    Test rode the Santa Cruz Juliana and didn't like the feel of the ride-however, the fit was perfect. Rode the Santa Cruz Blur (small frame) loved the feel of the ride-BUT-the frame is too large for me. I cannot have a standover height any higher than 27"

So what I am looking for is a multi-pivot full suspension bike, fully built for around 2,500$

Help????? thanks....
    It's very difficult to find a full suspension bike with low standover in the range you describe. My current bike is the best I have found so far. 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSRxc. My inseam is 28 inches (no shoes) and I have just about an inch or two of clearance on the medium frame. I would have gotten the small frame but the cockpit would have been to tight.

Check out the small frame if you can. I do know a female rider who rode one for a year and she is about 5'4" and really liked it. She is now riding the 2005 Stumpjumper 120, no issues with standover.

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

Unfortunately with an upper limit of 27 inches for....

Quote Originally Posted by John
    It's very difficult to find a full suspension bike with low standover in the range you describe. My current bike is the best I have found so far. 2004 Specialized Stumpjumper FSRxc. My inseam is 28 inches (no shoes) and I have just about an inch or two of clearance on the medium frame. I would have gotten the small frame but the cockpit would have been to tight.

Check out the small frame if you can. I do know a female rider who rode one for a year and she is about 5'4" and really liked it. She is now riding the 2005 Stumpjumper 120, no issues with standover.
    standover the FSR won't work. The 04 has a standover or 28 3/4 inches and the 05 is 28 1/4 inches. If that 27 inch max standover is a "writen in stone" figure then the Stumpy won't fit.

The Turner won't work either, the Small Burner has a standover of 29 or 30 inches, I don't recall which exactly, but one of those two. So that puts the Burner out.

The Titus is the only bike mentioned that will fill the bill here. The Racer X comes in XXsmall and Xsmall and both have standover heights that meet the requirement. The XXsmall has a standover of 24.65 and the Xsmall is 26.14. Thats set up for 80mm of travel. If you want to go longer travel then the RX exceeds the 27" limit. However if you want to go 100mm travel the Titus Motolite makes the grade. The Xsmall Moto has a standover of 25.75 and the Small is 26.75. And they do make a Womens specific frame for the Motolite so there are even more frame size options available. They claim that the Motolite WS is the smallest long travel frame available today. So I would definately check them out at www.titusti.com. If you spec it carefully you should be able to bring a new Motolite in some where between $2500 and $2800 as well.

Hope that helps you out.

Good Dirt
    Last edited by Squash; 04-24-2005 at 07:17 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Thanks guys for your help....another question for you....

The salesman in the bike shop said if he puts the fifth element shock on the Juliana it will ride better. Do you think so? I really disliked the "bobbing" feel with that bike. Whereas, the blur felt rock solid. Is this truly due to the single vs mulitple pivot design?

Being a roadie who is accustomed to stiff frames and having always road a hard tail mtn bike, the fs feels "squishy". (The Blur did not have that feel). However, I love the times when I rode a fs on techical single track how you can ride over all kinds of rock, stumps, ect., securely.

I will check out the Titus Racer X, hopefully (dreaming) I can find one to test ride.....

mtbr member

5th

Quote Originally Posted by love2climb
    Thanks guys for your help....another question for you....

The salesman in the bike shop said if he puts the fifth element shock on the Juliana it will ride better. Do you think so? I really disliked the "bobbing" feel with that bike. Whereas, the blur felt rock solid. Is this truly due to the single vs mulitple pivot design?

Being a roadie who is accustomed to stiff frames and having always road a hard tail mtn bike, the fs feels "squishy". (The Blur did not have that feel). However, I love the times when I rode a fs on techical single track how you can ride over all kinds of rock, stumps, ect., securely.

I will check out the Titus Racer X, hopefully (dreaming) I can find one to test ride.....
    The 5th element can really help eliminate peddle bob but it's a compromise to find a balance between suspension and peddaling efficiancy. I like my suspension to be fully active and the 5th elements I've ridden made the bike feel harsh but you're a racer so it may be to you're liking.

mtbr member
    24" tires?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by HomerSimpson
    24" tires?
    Are you suggesting if 26" tires are used it will lower the frame???? God that seems like such a dumb question-but I'm so not a techie person-so excuse the ignorance......Explain please !!!

Members who have read this thread: 0