Sette Ace or Haro Sonix- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Sette Ace or Haro Sonix

So I currently have a Kona that is built up but I really prefer riding my full suspension compared to my hard tail these days. My full suspension is an all mountain 140mm so I am looking for a full suspension frame that is 100-120mm to replace it. It has slx drivetrain, Fox F100 RLC forks etc. I am not wanting to spend a fortune so I am considering a new unused 08 Haro Sonix frame or a Sette Ace frame. I like both but personally dont know anyone who has either. I have read reviews and most are good on both to be honest. The Haro is about $100 cheaper than the Sette. What do you guys think? I have heard Haro has outstanding warranty service and pricepoint can be a pia to deal with for Sette.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have a Sette Ace and my wife has a Haro Sonix. I love my Ace, it rides great and is a very light frame (5.3 lb frame for size Medium). It has very little bob. The Haro is a very nice bike also. Its design gets rid of some pedal bob so it climbs very well, but its suspension performance is very dependent on proper tuning so setup is a little more difficult. My problem with the Haro is that it is heavy. My wifes size small frame is 6lbs, which is pretty heavy for such a small XC frame. Also keep in mind that Haro is no longer going to make the Sonix, or any virtual link bikes for that matter, so if you break anything you may have problems getting replacements parts. There were also problems with some years of the Sonix frames cracking on the swingarm near where the derailleur mounts, so I would be wary of a used frame. There are a few threads on this in the Haro forum.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The haro is a brand new un used 2008 its new old stock for $350. I like the sette but I wish it wasn't white. Either frame I'd need a small. Jill from haro said they keep a reserve for warranty on hand as well or will accpomodate the customer should they run out

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I also came acrossed this

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+2008+Oe.aspx

What sucks is it seems that the Parker and the Sonix seem to be prone to cracking so I dunno

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Prostreet513
    I also came acrossed this

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...e+2008+Oe.aspx

What sucks is it seems that the Parker and the Sonix seem to be prone to cracking so I dunno
    careful, that thing is a tank. Almost 2 pounds heavier than the Ace just for the frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yeah - I think I'd shy away from that Jamis frame. It's only available in small, by the way. I too looked at it but figured the Ace would be better for me as well. I ended up passing up on the Ace (and the Flite) for various reasons and came across this guy, which I ordered only a few hours ago.

http://wheelworld.com/product/khs-08...frame-6814.htm

I'm not sure if it fits your parameters, but it has 4.2" of rear travel, which seems to be in the range you're looking for. I've read nothing but good reviews of the completed bike that uses this frame. For the price, I couldn't resist giving it a shot.

For the record, while I have no Sette warranty experience, I have read quite a few good things regarding it. Just what I heard anyway.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I would need a small frame but yeah I am going to stay away from Jamis. I wonder what the stand over on the Med KHS is?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Prostreet513
    I would need a small frame but yeah I am going to stay away from Jamis. I wonder what the stand over on the Med KHS is?
    There's a sub-forum here for the KHS brand. I'd try asking there. I'd love to give you some numbers in reference to that but my frame is shipping.

http://forums.mtbr.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

Members who have read this thread: 0