Not a Barry supporter.

Selling Id, but what to replace it with?

I know I've posted that I'm selling my bike in other places but I really haven't gotten a whole lot of feedback. So I figure one more thread that gets passed over and over can't hurt...right?

Anyway, I'm selling the Id b/c it's just too much bike for me. I've loved it this past year but my wheels stay on the ground. I'm looking for a light racing bike that can take some punishment as well. I ride agressive singletrack most of the time and I really like to climb. I'm getting more and more into endurance events. I've done five 24 Hr races and I'm looking into centuries next year.

I was thinking of the Dean Ace but a buddy who worked at a bike shop where they did some Ti stuff said never get a Ti FS. He would recommend a Ti HT, but I'm not in the market for a HT. Right now I think the Titus Racer X100 is what I'm leaning towards. I'll have $1500-2000 to spend. I'll be transferring most of the parts off the Id to the new bike.

I've looked at the Ventana El Fuego too, but that seems a bit heavier and essentially the same ride feel (suspension design anyway) as the Id. I'm not a Turner fan so the Burner is out. I've looked at Foes and others but they don't seem to have exactly what I'm looking for. A somewhat light bike I can build up around 24-5 lbs. that can take some abuse.

I know this is long but I really need some input on this one guys.

Thanks!
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

Bodhisattva
    Your target weight of 24-5 combined with durability makes for a fairly short list.
    Turners are out per your preference, so forget the Flux.
    As a Ells owner I'm sure you're well familiar with the Truth, and perhaps that's why you haven't mentioned it.
    I haven't ridden the Foes.

I think both the Ventana Salty and Titus RX-100/Hammerhead 100-X would fit the bill.

I've been bashing my HH 100-X for 3 years and have loved every second of it. It currently weighs 26.3 lbs and is not what I would consider built excessively light. I strive for that holy grail combo of light & durable. Swap my TALAS for a RLT (0.4 pound difference), lighter tires (I run large Kendas), Marta for Louise FR and you'd be closer to 25.

I've never ridden a 24 but would think the RX100 would be the perfect bike for such an event.

mtbr member

I too came from an Id...

Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB
    I know I've posted that I'm selling my bike in other places but I really haven't gotten a whole lot of feedback. So I figure one more thread that gets passed over and over can't hurt...right?

Anyway, I'm selling the Id b/c it's just too much bike for me. I've loved it this past year but my wheels stay on the ground. I'm looking for a light racing bike that can take some punishment as well. I ride agressive singletrack most of the time and I really like to climb. I'm getting more and more into endurance events. I've done five 24 Hr races and I'm looking into centuries next year.

I was thinking of the Dean Ace but a buddy who worked at a bike shop where they did some Ti stuff said never get a Ti FS. He would recommend a Ti HT, but I'm not in the market for a HT. Right now I think the Titus Racer X100 is what I'm leaning towards. I'll have $1500-2000 to spend. I'll be transferring most of the parts off the Id to the new bike.

I've looked at the Ventana El Fuego too, but that seems a bit heavier and essentially the same ride feel (suspension design anyway) as the Id. I'm not a Turner fan so the Burner is out. I've looked at Foes and others but they don't seem to have exactly what I'm looking for. A somewhat light bike I can build up around 24-5 lbs. that can take some abuse.

Thanks!
    but went to a 5 Spot. Too completely different rides. But since you're not into Turners, I'd consider Squeak's recommendations as to the HH / Titus line. Titus makes great quality bikes, and they'll last, and the CS is great. Give em a call and chew the fat with them. Hey, you never know, and talking is free.......
    Good luck
    SB
    We told you 650b rocks! Riding converted RFX for years!

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Santa Cruz

I really like my Truth and it fit's your bill for a lightwt FS. Put the right components on and it can easily be 23lbs. Mine is leaning towards trail riding, with a coil Romic shock and Juicy discs.

A friend rides a Foes FXR and it's a lot of bike, more trail than xc. Another friend just got a Blur and I'm very impressed by the snappy feel and effiicient suspension design. Maybe consider a Intense Spider. I think either the Blur or Spider would make for a great lightweight trail bike. Honestly though, unless you're racing XC, fly-weight bikes are overrated. I think if you're trail bike is hovering around 26lbs +/-2lbs is perfect. Get a good set of fast rolling tires and climbing will be a breeze. My Truth must be a good 3-4 lbs heavier than my old hardtail, but I climb better on the Truth.
    Question to a custom frame builder..."So what makes your bikes climb better?"....his answer, "Uh, your legs?"

Fashionably functional...
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash_FLMB

Thanks!
    What's wrong with a Ti FS?

mtbr member
    I would second the Blur, and have read god things about the Titus Motolite as well.
    It's not as racy as the RX100, but it would be more fun to "play" on in 5 inch mode.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc

mtbr member

an intense Spider would fit the bill....

...I would first ride a VPP bike because it is not everyone's cup of tea.
    Never play leap-frog with a unicorn!

Bodhisattva
    Good job resurrecting a thread from November

mtbr member

Blur LT/Motolite

Quote Originally Posted by []D[][]v[][]D
    ...I would first ride a VPP bike because it is not everyone's cup of tea.
    it is coming in at 5.9 pounds for 5.3 travel, the lightened normal Blur (4.5) will be at around 5 pounds: I would get the LT and otherwise a titus motolite ...
    Last edited by Davide; 06-16-2005 at 07:33 AM.

mtbr member

Titus

I agree with the Titus reccomendation but I'd suggest the motolite; less than a half pound more according to the folks at titus with a 4/5 option and less money too.