Sell me on a light XC hardtail...- Mtbr.com
    squish is good

Sell me on a light XC hardtail...

I have decided I want one. My Reign is awesome, but I am now officially in the market for a lightweight Hardtail in the $1000-$1500 range. I would like a complete bike, only restrictions being it must come with an air-fork and hydraulic discs. What do you guys recommend? I've looked at the Stumpjumper, XTC, and Trek offerings, but I would appreciate any input as for other bikes, don't worry about sizing, I'll figure that out later. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You must define the high and low ranges for what you consider "light". To a downhiller light might be anything under 35lbs. To an XC racer light might be anything under 23lbs.

mtbr member
    He said a light XC hardtail...

I'd go for either a Giant XTC or a Klein Attitude. Both are very nice bikes, with good parts specs and a light weight.

squish is good
    My definitions of light may vary broadly, so long as it is a good bit under 32 lbs (my current FS bike). I don't really know where the standard is for hardtails today. I'm just trying to figure some ideas out for what I should be looking at for the next bike.

mtbr member
    Pfff, your basic entry level HT is at or below 32#. Finding a 25# HT in that price range isn't hard, and it'll still be plenty durable. Sub 20# is very light. If this is going to be your second bike, I'd reccomend a SS.

ride hard take risks
    Here ya go a lovely Ibex Trophy Pro for $1299 ready to go race if you so incline.

https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes/TR-PRO-Details.html

mtbr member
    Excellent choice, that.

mtbr member

Klein Attitude V disc

Klein Attitude V disc would be my recommendation they retail for $1599. but I got mine for $1525 plus tax out the door when I got it weighed in at 25.2lbs after a $1200 upgrade it weighed in at 22.5lbs. I love the stiffness of this old school fat tubed frame, its quick, responsive and it climbs like a goat. IMO it's really a good buy and you get a lifetime warranty on the frame. I love this bike.................Pic1 is before and Pic2 is afterthe upgrade.
    Attached Images Attached Images

squish is good
    Oh, I'm loving the Ibex! Price is right on that one, the Klein is a really cool bike too, but it comes spec'd with lesser components at a higher price. I'll keep the Ibex on my radar for a couple months, I'm in the process of picking up a road bike right now, so I have to let the cash flow in for a little while. Thanks for the input, and keep em coming if you want to weigh in!

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    I'm in the process of picking up a road bike right now,
    https://www.ibexbikes.com/Bikes-Hub-Road.html

squish is good
    I was looking at the classic 3300 there for a little while, until I noticed the Chrome-moly fork! I think I've settled on a Spesh Allez comp triple for the roadie. I test rode one the other day and it was by far the most comfortable bike I've test ridden since I started the shopping process. Trek 1200 was a close second though, but the shop is gonna give me free lifetime custom fitting with the purchase and I couldn't turn that down. Now, all thats left to find is a sweet hardtail and I've got the full quiver!

ride hard take risks
    It's all cool i really dont know a thing about road except a bro rides/races one & is now working at Bianci.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yes Bubba....

Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    He said a light XC hardtail...

I'd go for either a Giant XTC or a Klein Attitude. Both are very nice bikes, with good parts specs and a light weight.
    he said light, but there is no standard for light and while most experienced riders feel light is around 23lbs or less others, as you can see from his post, feel less than their present 32lb'er would be light. So your need to post "he said light" was not necessary. I was trying to narrow it down to what he wanted not what you think.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    he said light, but there is no standard for light and while most experienced riders feel light is around 23lbs or less others, as you can see from his post, feel less than their present 32lb'er would be light. So your need to post "he said light" was not necessary. I was trying to narrow it down to what he wanted not what you think.
    You left off a bit of my quote though. It was "He said a light XC hardtail." You were talking about how an XC rider might consider one bike heavy, though a DHer might consider that bike to be very light. While this is true, I was pointing out that this thread pertained to XC lightness.

Members who have read this thread: 0