Seeking Advice For A *Quality* Mountain Bike for $1000- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Seeking Advice For A *Quality* Mountain Bike for $1000

Hey everyone, just wondering if any of you experienced bikers in the Mountain Bike industry could give me some good ideas as to what types of bikes are the best bang for the buck around the $1000 price range.

Right now I am looking at:

Cannondale F600
    Trek 8000
    Giant Rainier (however, i think it's frame sizez are (XL is 21.5") too small for me as I am almost 6'6)
    Kona Caldera

Some comments and suggestions of other bikes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlosantana
    Hey everyone, just wondering if any of you experienced bikers in the Mountain Bike industry could give me some good ideas as to what types of bikes are the best bang for the buck around the $1000 price range.

Right now I am looking at:

Cannondale F600
    Trek 8000
    Giant Rainier (however, i think it's frame sizez are (XL is 21.5") too small for me as I am almost 6'6)
    Kona Caldera

Some comments and suggestions of other bikes would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    I am in the same boat as you are. My friend just bought the trek 8000 and it is sweet. The only thing though is that it comes with v-brakes. You have to take certain things like that into consideration. The caldera has Hayes hydraulic discs which are freakin sweet, but the trek 8000 has the zr9000 frame and a better fork. It depends on what you are looking for? The trek8000 comes with LX front and XT rear with LX shifters which is also a good deal. The caldera comes with Deore front XT rear. Basically the difference in the front has no impact unless you shift from 2 to 1 every five seconds. I hardly ever use granny gear so that has no impact on my choice. The rear is the same. The fork is something you have to test for yourself. The marzocchi fork I haven't seen or felt, but the duke XC I have. It is different than a coil and it is tough to explain so you have to feel it for yourself. The bottom line:

$999 gets you a great bike with nice components and Hayes hydraulic discs
    $1100 gets you a better frame, possibly better fork, less powerful v-brakes, disc ready hubs

The trek8000 is a good buy if you don't care about brakes, because you can always upgrade. The kona is a great deal in itself. Read the reviews for both of them and happy shopping. I myself was looking at these and stumbled upon the amazing trek8500 which is what I have my eyes on for now. (fox fork, xt everything mmmmm)