mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Scratch in carbon frame, do I need to worry?

Hi mtbr,

I just bought my first trail bike after doing a fair amount of research and really thinking about what I wanted. This is my first bike that is not a DJ so I don't have any experience with carbon frames.

It was purchased from a LBS as a demo bike. Its looks to be in really really great shape. I would say 9/10.
    Its a Rocky mountain thunderbolt 750 MLS.

I fully looked over the bike, tested it, and bought it. I missed one thing....

I got home and decided to do the best possible look over I would wipe down the bike compleatly with a damp rang and go pieces by piece carefully. Once reaching the underside of the bike at the BB I see this norco branded rubbery type patch (clear with black norco writing), not sure how I missed this at the shop but I did.

Once removing it I notice a scratch which is short fairly thin and just showing some of the carbon.

here is the picture: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qsv...ew?usp=sharing

size is approx 8mm x 2mm (length x width) depth is very minimal

so my first thought is its not a big deal at all. But I wanted some feedback. I dislike the idea that I found it and no one pointed it out to me before buying it so I will call the shop tomorrow to let them know.

Other than a few very minor paint chips here and there the bike is perfect.

So what is everyone thoughts on this small scratch?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Can you just embed the photo?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Yes! If you have a carbon frame and aren't worried, you're not getting your money's worth. That scratch, however, is nothing to worry about.
    Do the math.

EAT MORE GRIME
    just put the picture on MTBR if you are gonna do this stuff

this picture on google drive is blocked by any decent firewall [such as the twins I sit behind] because google drive is a common vector for bad actors to deliver malicious content, so many block it outright
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That's not a big scratch but it has gone thru at least one layer of carbon. However it shouldn't be a big deal as the BB area is generally speaking overbuilt to begin with. If you decide to keep, seal it with a quality clear coat, then red paint to match if you want.

Btw was the discount great? It should be a fantastic deal because that's a bike that the LBS can never sell as new obviously, but its technically damaged which should lower its price even lower than a demo!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmokingman View Post
    That's not a big scratch but it has gone thru at least one layer of carbon. However it shouldn't be a big deal as the BB area is generally speaking overbuilt to begin with. If you decide to keep, seal it with a quality clear coat, then red paint to match if you want.

Btw was the discount great? It should be a fantastic deal because that's a bike that the LBS can never sell as new obviously, but its technically damaged which should lower its price even lower than a demo!

I apologize for the link to the picture. Ill be sure to avoid this going forward.

As far as price I think I did really good concidering the upgrades and the price of other bikes at that price point found on here and kijiji (local ads). I paid $2500 canadian. Thoughts?

I know it retails normally for over $5000 in 2016 and is specd well for a $2500 bike.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scratch in carbon frame, do I need to worry?-20180710_221551.jpg  

mtbr member
    That's nothing to worry about. I'm really wary of carbon but even I wouldn't worry about that, not in the slightest.

EAT MORE GRIME
    yeah looks OK, something that you'd expect on a demo bike

but the BB shell specifically on cf bikes (and most bikes anyway) is the most robust section of the entire bike frame.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Thanks everyone for easing my mind.

Gnar? I didn't see it...
    Agreed, nothing to worry about.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    i actually realized its not damage from a scratch but the cable wear spot. I am buying some protective pad for down under the BB

Gnar? I didn't see it...
    Good idea. It looked like cable rub...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thunderbolt82 View Post
    I actually realized its not damage from a scratch but the cable wear spot.
    I thought it looked like cable rub but couldn't see any cable or guide in the picture.