Schwinn Mesa vs. Gary Fisher Wahoo- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

New question here. Schwinn Mesa vs. Gary Fisher Wahoo

Hey everyone.

I've narrowed my search of a new bike down to these two. The Schwinn Mesa and the Gary Fisher Wahoo. As far as i know the Schwinn is 299.99 USD and the Gary Fisher is 399.99 USD. I don't need a really good bike, i don't go off huge jumps or any thing. I do pretty easy trails. I was wondering is it worth spending 100 dollars more on the Fisher then the Schwinn and if yes, why? I'm on a tight budget with no income at the moment and if i buy the Fisher i'll praticaly have nothing. So is it worth it?
    All comments appreciated!

P.S Any suggestions in the 299.99 USD price range would be apprecaited also. Thats the price i'm looking for.

Jan 2004

shoot me a line

Quote Originally Posted by niceride22
    Hey everyone.

I've narrowed my search of a new bike down to these two. The Schwinn Mesa and the Gary Fisher Wahoo. As far as i know the Schwinn is 299.99 USD and the Gary Fisher is 399.99 USD. I don't need a really good bike, i don't go off huge jumps or any thing. I do pretty easy trails. I was wondering is it worth spending 100 dollars more on the Fisher then the Schwinn and if yes, why? I'm on a tight budget with no income at the moment and if i buy the Fisher i'll praticaly have nothing. So is it worth it?

P.S Any suggestions in the 299.99 USD price range would be apprecaited also. Thats the price i'm looking for.
    I have a FS for you. Schwinn Rocket 88 for 250$. [email protected]

Jan 2004

Specialized Hardrock xc

Hey man, thanks for the offer. But i'd like to go to a store and look around at other bikes too still and i've found another interesting bike in this price range. Its the Specialized Hardrock xc, found here---> http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=5953
    its the same price as the Schwinn. Also, i've come to learn that the prices i have for the other bikes are inaccurate. Can anyone give me the CDN pricing if possible, if not in USD, for the Specialed Hardrock xc, the Schwinn Mesa, and the Gary Fisher Wahoo.

There's no app for this.

stuff you should know

Specialized in Canada doesn't quote pricing, best you can do is check the USA page on the web and convert. It won't be exact as Spec. has a Cdn dist, who scrapes a few $ off the top. The RST fork is strictly entry level: bike paths and streets and gravel trails are it's intended use; hard XC use will kill it. Medium use might kill you

Schwinn got sold to Dorel Industries in Quebec a few months back, you may have parts difficulties with it, I'd pass on it.

Gary fisher makes good stuff. The fork is a Rock Shox TT and is also entry level but better than any RST.

Buy a bike that fits you well, from a shop you trust and like, and that offers to tune the bike free year one.

Check out some really good values like Norco and Brodie, both Cdn firms with great value based bikes that also can be expensive.

My best guess is the Wahoo, but the BIKE HAS TO FIT YOU RIGHT!

www.wrenchscience.com <-- fit page. and get the store to ensure that saddle, stem, and bars give yo the right fit. Like shoes, get the wrong size and, well, you know.

good luck, Jim

Crash Gordon
    Quote Originally Posted by niceride22
    Hey everyone.

Go to the dealers in the area and test ride the bikes in your price range. Buy the one that fits the best. You're not going to find a big difference in quality at that price.

Out of the bikes you mentioned, I would go with the Specialized (if it fits). I didn't see any significant upgrades to the wahoo and the hardrock frame is quite good. Save the extra hundred for repairs or accesories. If the Schwinn is being sold by a bike shop it's not a bad choice either.
    Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Jan 2004
    First off, Thanks for all of your replies. Second, it kinda sucks right now because i'm not old enough to drive yet, so until my birthday,(march 16) i can't get to a bike shop, and tahts the day i'm getting my bike. I'm just trying to do as much reseach at possible. Although i like the specialized, i like the lighter frame and better shocks the wahoo has. THe only way i'm going to get that those is if its cheaper then i think it is. The Schwinn i've been told make good bikes but is over rated. The specialized looks good also. Its going to come down to the day that that i go out to get it i know that. The crappy thing is Schwinn is sold on one side of town, specialized is sold at another, and Gary Fisher is sold at another. So i might have to go all over town to decided . and drive my parents mad!!! Oh well! in the end i hope its worth it.
    I guess i'll just keep on researching!