Santa cruz Superlight Vs Pivot- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Santa cruz Superlight Vs Pivot

Hi All,
    I might just be comparing Apples and Oranges ...I am looking at Pivot Mach 4 frames and Santa Cruz Xcountry Aluminum frames. The frame alone on the Pivot costs 2 times more then the frame of the santacruz , I can understand the design difference between the two frames have got something to do with it, however I can't seem to see the justification when both are aluminum ?

Anyone can shed some light on why the Pivots frame is worth 2 times more ?

thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Simply, because people will buy them at that price.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotth72
    Simply, because people will buy them at that price.
    And there you go, OP, so my advice is to take the money you save by choosing the Superlight and turn that into better components for your build.

Fred

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by RagerXS
    And there you go, OP, so my advice is to take the money you save by choosing the Superlight and turn that into better components for your build.

Fred

Agree!!
    Just don't satisfy your curiosity by test riding the Mach 4 after you buy the Superlite though, You would not be happy.

Rider and Wrench
    They are two very different bikes- the Santa Cruz is a single pivot bike that must rely on a platform on the rear shock to keep it from bobbing, vs the Pivot is a multi pivot bike (DW to be exact) that is designed to minimize bob or pedal induced movement... while we do pay for "name brands" and it still may have something to do with the price of the Pivot, you really are getting a much different bike-

The Santa Cruz Blur XC would be a better comparison to the Pivot Mach 4 both are virtual pivot point designs... and closer in price (though most of the Santa Cruz models come in Carbon...)

I have had a Superlight and highly recomend it, very well made, only one pivot to deal with so little maintainence and it is one of the best performing single pivot bikes out there- I have also owned other Santa Cruz bikes - the Blur XC & LT as well as currently a Pivot mach 429- the 29" tire version of the Mach 4-

Is it worth spending more on the Pivot, maybe maybe not? Are they different even though they are both Aluminum? Don't let anyone kid you on that, no they are not the same. Like mimi said in an earlier post you can build up a great Superlight from the savings on the frame just don't go throwing a leg over the Pivot afterword- what you don't know can't hurt you...
    I Just wish I could ride more!

T.W.O.
    Right on KnottShore, I've own and ridden plenty of well made Single pivot bikes, Cannondale is almost exclusively Single pivot design. To add to the aid of platform to control suspension, Single pivot also get the help from chain torque when you are in granny ring. This helps when you are climbing the combination of granny ring and chain torque help firm up the suspension, as well.

If you want the model in between check out Santa Cruz new APP suspension design, I think it's still as simple to maintain like the Single Pivot but with a few improved benefits. I recommend the 5" travel Nickel, a bit more travel make quite a difference.

When it come to set up. If you have short travel, you kinda have to choose to be either plush or firm because you don't have that much room to work with. Longer travel you can have both, since it's easier to tune the shock to be plush and ramp up.

On the side note not all DW link design ride the same even at the same travel. That's why there are at least 3 different DWL at 5.5" travel on the market, each with different personality, and all claimed to do it all. Which one is the best for you?, the only way to find out, and this is true for all bikes, is to have the bike set up for you and take it for a run on your fav loop, you should have a pretty good idea of how it would match up, minus the New-Bike-Syndrome of course.

Good luck,

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Knottshore,
    Good advice! The mach 4 frame comes with the shock and in comparison it is not too much of a difference. I think you are right about the 3 Pivot DW link on he mach 4 compared to Superlight. However my reason for the aluminum frame is I tend to crash a lot and don't want to take that chance with carbon frame + i have not had a chance to test ride one. At this point I am leaning towards a pivot ...

Rider and Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by beemme
    Knottshore,
    Good advice! The mach 4 frame comes with the shock and in comparison it is not too much of a difference. I think you are right about the 3 Pivot DW link on he mach 4 compared to Superlight. However my reason for the aluminum frame is I tend to crash a lot and don't want to take that chance with carbon frame + i have not had a chance to test ride one. At this point I am leaning towards a pivot ...
    Santa Cruz recently swapped over to carbon for it's VPP bikes (though the Blur LT 140mm travel is available in Alloy for now and is a sweet bike if it is not too much travel)- I was just mentioning them as they are a more comparable suspension design-

I am not sure exactally what you mean by "shock" as both the Mach 4 and super light come with a rear shock when you purchase it as a "frame" - (unless it is a one off type deal or used...)

For comparison Speed goat has both bikes: (decent prices on both but I am not sure what sizes this will include)

Pivot Mach 4
    http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=18358

Superlight

http://www.speedgoat.com/Catalog.aspx/Browse?Prod=19209

It you add the Rp 23 to the Super light it is ~ $1015 vs $1649 (may be tough to duplicate?)
    plus you have a painted frame VS ano on the Pivot which is an up-charch for Santa Cruz an the Pivot also includes a pressed in XTR bottom Bracket-

Neither include a front "shock" or fork - so still a minimum of a ~$600 plus on the Pivot's end.

Did I mention I love my Pivot 429... my buddy had an Elllllswoorth.... Epiphany and took my 429 for a spin and now has the Epiphany stripped down with all of the parts on a Pivot mach 5- I am not saying it is the end all be all bike for every application, but I do like the peddling and out of saddle performance it offers - it is as close to a hardtail power transfer as I have experienced - so for my east coast xc/trail riding it is a set and forget suspension, no real need to flip levers etc... and I can hop off of my rigid and not feel like I have to change my entire ride style to "accommodate" the suspension... it fits my ride style very well- But I still rank the Superlight as one of my favorite all time bikes (my first Full susser-)
    I Just wish I could ride more!

Members who have read this thread: 0