Salsa Build- Mtbr.com

Thread: Salsa Build

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

New question here. Salsa Build

So I recently sold my Cannondale Caffeine 29'er. I liked it but it was a bit to big for me I should have got a medium. So any way I bought a Salsa Ala Carte. I've always wanted one and I have the majority of the build. I was just looking for some opinions on a wheel size. I've been debating on if it's worth it to build this with a 650b or not. I'm going to run it rigid at first but will probably break down and buy a fork sooner than latter. Just running through options and I know I can get alot more bang for the buck on a 26" but 650b might be cool. Any opinions on if it's worth it to go 650b.

Thanks,
    Mike

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    If you are riding it rigid, 650b is definitely going to be smoother. With a suspension fork though, you need to decide what you want. What type of trails do you ride? 650b is going to have better rollover, but will be heavier and handle a little slower.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm north east PA, so mostly rocky single track. I liked the way the 29'er rolled over things but like I said It was a bit big for me. I had a hard time throwing it around. I'm 5'9" 150lbs and I was riding a large frame. I actually felt like it was throwing me around. I've never really rode rigid. I figured I'd give it a go for a few weeks before I bought a fork. If I would invest in 650b I could just move that over to a suspension fork?? I've been thinking R7. I have a 26" fs now so I know the difference of riding a 29'er over a 26". I know I can figure a 27.5" will handle somewhere in between. But the wheels are expensive and tire choice seems limited. I'm just curious if it's worth it.

www.derbyrims.com
    I've heard lots of good reviews of 650b conversions for NE rocky trail conditions. 650b raises the BB and pedal clearance 1/2 inch and relaxes the handling slightly, both are advantages in rocky conditions, besides the easier rolling and improved traction with 650b.

Check in the 650b forum stickys for whether your frame clears.

bump and grind
    A 650b steel hardtail is definitely a nice ride. If you do get a suspension fork though, you may want to rethink the R7s, which may have some fitment or mud clearance issues with the 650b front wheel.

The White Jeff W
    I'm running 650B on my Chumba HX1 with a 120mm fork and it's sweet. It feels tall when I'm sitting on it but it handles beautifully really gets the power to the ground on the climbs. I'm in Western PA. Oh, I had an R7 on another bike and it was a noodle. It's a lightweight XC race fork. I wouldn't recommend it for rocky riding.

I say go for it

No moss...

Members who have read this thread: 0