S-Works Epic vs Blur- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Listen! S-Works Epic vs Blur

I know they are very different bikes. Problem is I like them both and can't decide.

Specialized s-works Epic disc (or 30th Anniversary Stumpjumper possibly) vs Blur with
    XTR/Hayes disc brakes.

I am coming from a Zaskar Team hardtail.

I am 5'11", 40 years old and weigh 195lbs. I ride in so-cal. 50% rough fireroads, 50% tight steep rocky singletrack, lots of climbing and descending. No freeriding.

If money were no object which should I buy and why with what front fork?

I value the vast knowledge of this forum. Thanks in advance,

RSMbikedude

BLS439

If money were truly no object.....

Quote Originally Posted by rsmbikedude
    I know they are very different bikes. Problem is I like them both and can't decide.

Specialized s-works Epic disc (or 30th Anniversary Stumpjumper possibly) vs Blur with
    XTR/Hayes disc brakes.

I am 5'11", 40 years old and weigh 195lbs. I ride in so-cal. 50% rough fireroads, 50% tight steep rocky singletrack, lots of climbing and descending. No freeriding.

RSMbikedude
    I wouldn't get either Blur, Epic, or Stumpy. ******* NOTE: I own a Blur.

I would get the Intense Spyder. I think that it is built a bit better than the Blur but more pricey, $500 or so more dollars, just on the frame price. Then just get the usual Chris King, XTR or SRAM build kit.

I have the Float 100 RLC. I really like it. I would say if you are going to be racing your rig only, than go with the Fox 100x...if you are going to mainly trail ride and do a little racing go with the Float 100 RLC. I have been told to stay away from the Talas as the adjustable height could void your frame warranty.

--BLS439

persona non grata

XTR/Hayes disc brakes.

RSMbikedude
    I've test ridden the Stump FSR and Blur. I loved them both. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

One of the great things about forums is that you get different perspectives/opinions. In that light, I disagree BLS439. I've seen many of the botique manufacturer bikes and have never been all that impressed. I haven't seen the extra quality the botique proponents are always alluding to, but I've have seen more problems. This is just my experience. I don't believe the botique frames are a good value--especially when Specialized lifetime warranty is factored in. That's what ultimately tipped the scale to the 30th Anniversasry Disc for me.

I'm sure there are lots who will totally disagree with me on the botique v Specialized point. That's fine. Ultimately it's your money and your riding that will be affected. If you decide to go the botique route for whatever reason make sure you understand exactly where your extra money is going. Vague references to improved quality need to be very, very carefully examined and then compared to what is alleged to be lacking in Specialized or Santa Cruz or whomever. Take a look at the warranty too.

Merida (big stockholder of Specialized and manufacturer of the Stump FSRs) is employing fabrication and manufacturing techinques to make the Stump FSR that none of the botique brands could match if it was their sole goal in life. They simply don't have the ability. The botique designs are necessarily encumbered with the same manufacturing limitations.

Just 'cause a frame is made domestically doesn't make it better. I haven't owned an American car, well, ever.

I would totally agree with BLS439 on the Fox Forx thing. The Float RLC comes on the Anniversary Disc, and I would spec it on the SC if I were you.

I saved the most important advice for last--go with whatever feels best to you when you ride it. If you prefer the Intense and have the money then by all means by it. I'm certain it's a very high quality machine. If, however, the (Blur, Stump) feels the best then don't feel like you're getting 2nd quality stuff when you hand over your credit card.

Best of luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job!

I own a '03 Epic and have never ridden a Blur but want to put in my 2 cents worth of input.

I also purchased a '04 Stumpjumper Expert just two weeks ago and absolutely love it. The Epic is just a bit too slow to react to rough terrain whereas the Stumpjumper is very efficient even in open mode. You can also choose the ProPedal mode for even more efficiency while maintaining a very plush ride.

I purchased the rim model for $1,699 and upgraded several components including Avid mechanical brakes, SRAM X.9, S-Works carbon bar, Thomson post and now have one serious trail weapon. I purchased a complete bike for just a few dollars more than the Blur frameset.

mtbr member

Tested both and they are very different

XTR/Hayes disc brakes.

RSMbikedude
    Sure you have to test yourself and judge by the feel. My 2 cents are the Epic will be much closer to your HT feel and the SC will feel much more plush (if not boaring).
    Do you want to keep your HT and have a nice FS?, than maybe SC is better for you. Otherwise the Epic will be a smoother transition for you. I am in a similar situation and currently leaning towards keeping my HT and buying a nice FS (4-5") but it's not final yet.
    Agree with the fork recommendations just make sure you don't get a 2003 Fox with all of the reported dropouts issues. Make sure it is a 2004 Fox.
    Good Luck