rush vs trance- Mtbr.com

Thread: rush vs trance

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

rush vs trance

has any one compared these two bike on this forum? I did a search but nothing showed up. The entry level of both these bike are fair and entirely worth upgrading in the future. I have been told that the trance is a bit more plush than the rush. I have done a parking lot test on both and the trance did feel more plush and actually nicer overall. I was just looking for anyone's opinion who has road both bikes off road.
    don't sweat the petty things, and pet the sweaty things

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I test the Anthem, not the Trance and compared it to the Rush. I ended up going with the Rush because it was so much simpler and a lot of my races are in really nasty conditions. The Rush has half the pivot points so it would take less work to silence a squeeky frame. I could feel a difference in the parking lot test ride, but when I started messing with shock pressures the differences went away and I chose the best handling. The Rush comes with a handlebar that is just too wide for tight XC, but it is super stable and ultra forgiving.

I also thought the Lefty felt much better than the fork on the Anthem. Looking back at it I think that you should focus on the control that the fork offers first, then pick the rear suspension that suits your goals.

All Mountain all the way
    Jul 2006
    I would tend to favor the Rush. I own a Prophet 1000, and one of the reasons I bought Cannondale was due to the Lefty. It's an awesome fork. Pretty light weight, and very plush.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    If you have a big budget get a Rush. If your on a low budget get a Trance.

mtbr member
    I have never riden a Giant full suspension bike, but I do own a Giant hardtail (Iguana) and a Cannondale Rush. The Giant I have abused to no end and I have yet to break it. I just picked up the Rush about a month ago and love it. Just a warning on the Rush though, they have low bottom brackets which realy annoyed me the first few rides with lots of pedal strikes and a few total bottoming outs. Otherwise the Rush is awsome. Good luck.

Lungs, Legs, Luck
    I've ridden both, I can tell you that, to me, the Rush has more neutral trail manners. It just does what I expect it to do. I'm not a racer, but I always like to try to challenge myself with more technical runs. I just feel a little more confident on the Rush. If I had more money, I'd get a Rush 3 tomorrow.

The problem with the Trance, for me, is the sizing. The small is too small, and the medium is too big. The Rush Medium is really a Goldilocks type of bike for me. I'm 5-8 w/ a 30" inseam if that helps. Properly set up, it's the most comfortable--if not the fastest--bike I've ridden.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Get the rush!

Bikeuphill9: What did You mean by total bottoming outs? I have a Rush, and have noticed (and got used to) low BB, but havent had any bottoming outs yet. Maybe there is not enough pressure in Your rear shock?

mtbr member
    Not bottoming out the shock, but landing the bottom bracket on rocks, stumps, etc. that my hardtail would clear. It is just that when the suspension compresses, the bottom bracket height is reduced to well bellow that of my hardail. Now that I know what to expect, I choose different lines and pull up my rear wheel earlier then when on my hardtail. I actualy run more air than I want to because of this issue. I might be upgrading to a shock with rebound and compression adjustments soon as I can not tune the Fox Float to my light weight/riding style.

Members who have read this thread: 0