mtbr member
    Apr 2009

New question here. Rubbing tire ate through chainstay paint and into aluminum.

Hi guys. It happened that I've put fat tires on my 2010 Gary Fisher Big Sur frame and on one of the rides I broke the spoke, wheel came out of true and started rubbing the chainstays. On one side it just went trough the paint, on the other I can feel two grooves eaten into the frame material. They are about quarter to half millimeter deep. Worst part is that I was going to sell the bike and now I don't even know if it has any real value. What do you guys think: should I try to sell it, letting the potential buyer know about the issue? This is beautiful GF Big Sur Platinum frame that is available only as an upgrade(warranty in my case). Is there any fix available?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I doubt that this little bit of damage affected the strength of the frame. Sell it as is and let the buyer know about the rub marks.

Never trust a fart
    Its fine. Just let the prospective buyer know about it and take pictures.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Is there any way to prevent it from happening in the future other than just watching your tire? Some sort of protective hard coating/stickers or something?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Smaller tire?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero
    Smaller tire?
    Well, my new Cannondale RZ 140 frame has bigger rear triangle for bigger tires. Planning to go at 2.4 max on the rear.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot
    Is there any way to prevent it from happening in the future other than just watching your tire? Some sort of protective hard coating/stickers or something?
    Yes...quit riding when you "broke the spoke, wheel came out of true and started rubbing the chainstays". Or carry a few basic tools (multi-tool) and use a spoke wrench to temporarily true the wheel enough to ride out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr
    Yes...quit riding when you "broke the spoke, wheel came out of true and started rubbing the chainstays". Or carry a few basic tools (multi-tool) and use a spoke wrench to temporarily true the wheel enough to ride out.
    It was my bad. I was riding after dark in the winter with around 20F outside and summer shoes with neoprene covers. Not ideal conditions to walk back 1 mile(it happened right at the beginning) or fix the wheel with the multitool I have. And I couldn't even imagine the tire will eat into aluminum like this. Learned it hard way - with my new frame I will never do this kind of mistake.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Just try to adjust the spoke tension to get you home without rubbing if you have far to go.

This is one reason you don't want to push tire/frame clearance to the limits (don't know if you were or not).

I keep a little bit of duct-tape wrapped around my pump for emergencies. If I was really worried I might slap some of that on there if I could not get the rubbing to stop and had to ride it. Not sure how much it would help, though.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    It's a mountain bike, I doubt anyone will worry too much about that small of a mark through the paint. It won't rust, it's aluminum. Put some white out on it!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Straz85
    It's a mountain bike, I doubt anyone will worry too much about that small of a mark through the paint. It won't rust, it's aluminum. Put some white out on it!
    I was thinking about touch painting it. And I do not worry about actual paint stripped. I was worrying about some of the frame material being shaved off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I was thinking about touch painting it. And I do not worry about actual paint stripped. I was worrying about some of the frame material being shaved off.
    I would be worried if it was mine. Plenty of people have frames fail even when the frame is not chewed partially away. At the same time while the risk of failure is many times higher, it is probably very small still. 1 in a million vs. 1 in 1000 is 1000x greater risk, but still small.

Rock and/or Roll
    I wouldn't buy it if I saw that kind of damage. How thick is the aluminum tube wall at that point, and how much thinner did it become right at a high stress point? I've seen frames break at that point before. Depends on the end user as well, I guess.

Newt Guy
    I wouldn't buy it like that period, and if someone tried to sell it to me with touch up paint on it... hiding the damage... I would be getting my money back.

Yes, steel is most certainly stronger than aluminum EVERY time.
    ~Frosty Struthers

mtbr member
    It's sort of hard to tell from the pictures but I doubt it's worn into the actual frame as much as you're thinking. The paint has a decent amount of thickness. Odds are it's fine. Just be honest with the buyer, and I wouldn't worry too much.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Thanks guys, for all the advice. I will touch paint it only if it will not sell and I decide to keep it as a backup bike. What do you think it's value is? It is 2010(2011?) G2 frame Platinum Series. The rest is 2008 GF Tassajara - Deore LX rear, Deore front, entry level hydraulics, Rock Shox Tora 302 Solo air, Shimano M485 brakes, XT casette. If the value is too low, say, below $400 - I will keep it to myself.

Members who have read this thread: 2