Rocky ETSX70- Mtbr.com

Thread: Rocky ETSX70

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Rocky ETSX70

I bought one of these last November and it's a wonderful bike. However, been reading lately of several people having cracks in the frame on 2004 models (one guy is on his 4th replacement), which mine is, after no abuse riding. This worries me a bit cos although i'm UK based i'm about to move to the alps which is much tougher terrain. The seed of doubt has been sown. Any suggestions ? I'm female, weight 145lbs.

Cheers

Diz

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyone
    I bought one of these last November and it's a wonderful bike. However, been reading lately of several people having cracks in the frame on 2004 models (one guy is on his 4th replacement), which mine is, after no abuse riding. This worries me a bit cos although i'm UK based i'm about to move to the alps which is much tougher terrain. The seed of doubt has been sown. Any suggestions ? I'm female, weight 145lbs.

Cheers

Diz
    I'm riding a 2003 ETSX and shortly after buying it starting reading the stories on MTBR of cracked seat tubes. This was really too bad because now I find myself worrying about when/if this will happen to mine especially when I hear those little creaks and pops one sometimes gets when riding,

For what its worth, I'm 185lbs and I've put about 1000 kms on my 19" ETSX. I suspect if your frame is going to crack there is likely little you can do to avoid it other than riding on flat trails, which would be a total waste of a wonderful suspension design. The one thing I have consided is that keeping the rear shock set properly so that you don't bottom it out and also not riding with the shock locked out may help to minimize the stresses contributing to these broken seat tubes.

Other than that, take sollace that Rocky has been handing these failed frame under warranty without question and just ride and enjoy!

Karl