Rockhopper and Hardrock- Mtbr.com
    asm
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Rockhopper and Hardrock

Hello. I have been riding BMX for the past 15 years or so, and I'd like to make the move to MTB. I've been looking around and I'd like to decide between the Specialized Rockhopper and Hardrock. I plan to ride a little bit of pavement, trails, and freeriding with jumps no more than 2' and normally just closer to a foot. I don't plan on doing anything too crazy for any particular riding, but just moderate difficulty of each.

From what I've gathered the Hardrock is more geared towards an all around bike, but would the Rockhopper be able to handle what I want to do a little better? I'm looking at the rockhopper base, and hardrock base and maybe comp disc.

Freshly Fujified

I like the RH Comp disc

The bike is a great value, IMO. The pluses for you would be the fact that while the fork is not a high end fork, it has 32 mm stanchions (very sturdy) and is dual coil ( I think it's better for jumps and drops than air). The bike has a good set Avid discs, so you probably won't be looking to upgrade, so long as you like cable brakes (I use them and like them). It also has some above average drivetrain components. I've been recommending this bike a lot this year, especially for heavier riders. If you're truly going to be doing drops on this bike, I don't know that it would be suitable if you're tipping the scales at 200 lbs or more. Less than that and you're probably OK. Keep in mind that the bike isn't made for drops, and the wheelset is also an X factor. You may very well trash them doing drops. If the majority of your riding really doesn't focus on super aggressive stuff, you'll be OK. This will also be the case if the 15 years of BMX riding has made you a more smooth finesse rider. If you're not, and/or you're over 200 lbs, you should probably be looking at a freeride specific bike.

Bottom line-the Rockhopper Comp Disc seems to be a very beefy bike. Of the bikes you mention, this is my recommendation. It may or may not work for your intended usage.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

asm
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thank you.

I'm 165 right now, and I don't think I'll be riding too aggressively. I really just want something for some exercise and light fun on the trails while I finish up my masters. After that I'll be able to afford something better if I want to go that route.

Members who have read this thread: 0