Still surfin in my 60's.

Rockhopper for $60?

CL has a Rockhopper listed for $60. Ad says it needs new fork and tubes,(I'm assuming he means inner tubes) but he will throw in a set of tubes. From what I've seen forks are very expensive, especially when you're unemployed. From a "ballpark" POV, would this be worth investigating? Will most forks fit most bikes, or are they very specific to one brand of bike? I can do most of the mechanic work myself but wondering if this would be worth the time and expense. Thanks for any advice.
    So you think you can jump!

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    If everything else checks outand it is the correct size for you then I would have to say that would be a pretty good deal. Forks are not specific to brands however there are a few factors to take into consideration when purchasing a new fork:
    1. The steerer tube diameter must be the same as the one already on the bike (most common and most likely to be on a Rockhopper would be a 1 1/8" steerer)
    2. The steerer tube must also be long enough to fit through the head tube and still have room for your stem and spacers (if needed)
    3. Make sure it has the correct brake mounts for whichever brakes you'll be using whether it is v brakes or discs
    4. The correct amount of travel for your frame (probably 100mm on the RH so just set it back up with the same)

With that being said... you can spend as much or as little as you want on a new fork. New they could be $1000 but you can always watch for a reasonable used fork on ebay and could realistically look at spending around $100 to $150 on a good used fork. Older Fox or a newer Rock Shox Dart 3 or Tora would be a nice fork for your application.

So let's say that everything else checks out on the bike and only the fork and tubes need replacing you'd be looking at spending around $200 to $300 depending on your choice of fork.

Former Bike Wrench
    How old is it, the Rockhopper has been around for at least 20 years

Members who have read this thread: 0