Road to mountain fitting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Road to mountain fitting

I'm a long time roadie looking to buy my first mountain bike in a long while. I know all my road fitting specs to the millimeter, but am having trouble figuring out how this translates to the mountain bike. I ride a top tube of 575mm with a 120mm stem. This bike is considered a 58cm by Cannondale. What size frame am I roughly looking at? 17.5 in, 20 in, 22 in? Should my top tube be longer, shorter, the same as my road bike?

Thanks for any help.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Somethings translate, like saddle to pedal, but others don't (stem length).

The reason is the type of bike. A XC bike will be more like a road bike, leaned forward in a slight aero type position.

A trail/AM bike will have you more upright and a shorter stem to control the bike better.

You can get "close" with your numbers. What type of riding are you planning on doing?

How you feel on the bike is still important. However, keep in mind you will not be spending 1 hr in the saddle like a road bike. You will be up, down, behind, left and right of it.

YOu might also try posting in the beginners corner forum on this
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Rod
    mtbr member
    A 19 inch or 20 inch xc mountain bike should fit you just fine. I would start there and then tweak the stem length and saddle to fit. I started on a 19 inch mountain bike and also ride a 58 cm road bike.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    road fitting doesnt translate over at all, and its MUCH less important on a mountain bike.

you'll kinda need to relearn how to fit yourself to a mountain bike, but luckily its much easier for mountain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for the replies. I'm actually looking into a rigid SS 29er for mostly XC trail riding. No big drops or jumping. I figured fit wouldn't be as important on the mountain bike since you move around so much more, just wanted to make sure I didn't buy something that was completely wrong for me. Right now I'm looking at a 20" Kona unit and see a top tube of over 630mm, which seems really long to me, but I guess mountain counteracts this with a much shorter stem. Generally I run my road saddle at 800mm, so saddle height shouldn't be a problem on any size bike I get with a long enough seat post.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I have heard through the grapevine that some 29ers are sized differently than regular 26 inch wheeled bikes. I know a couple local people who went a size smaller in a 29er. I would go by top tube length. I run a 100 or 110 mm stem on my xc bike.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Fat-tired Roadie
    The big thing that changes sizing between a road and a mountain bike is the handlebars, IMO.

If you like to ride on the hoods most of the time on a road bike, you're putting your hands around 70mm forward, relative to the handlebar clamp, of where you'd put them on a mountain bike. In order to make the reach from saddle to grips on a MTB more similar to the reach from saddle to hoods on a road bike, mountain bikes have longer top tubes.

For me, my road and XC riding positions are fairly similar, but I ride a road bike with a 545mm top tube and my mountain bike has a 590mm top tube. I think I might be a bit more comfortable on a smaller road bike and larger mountain bike, though.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Members who have read this thread: 0