The right size for All Mountain Riding - Commencal Meta v4 - M or L?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014

The right size for All Mountain Riding - Commencal Meta v4 - M or L?

Hi everyone - So before I even get started, I wanted to say, I know, the best way to figure out the best size for you is to test the bike. BUT - what if you are looking to buy a bike from a DTC site, without a way to test the bike?

Here is MY situation. I'm in the market for a new mid-long travel enduro/AM bike. I am currently on a 2013 17.5 Marin XM7 (roughly size medium) and although the bike is great, I find myself maxing out my suspension constantly and also feel that the bike gets very unsteady on really steep sections of trail at high speeds. I plan on keeping the XM7 and building up a little quiver.

So I've been looking at the Commencal Meta V4 Race - Brushed edition. COMMENCAL 2016 | META AM V4 RACE 650B BRUSHED EDITION 2016

They have size M and L available. I am 5'9, 160-165lbs, and have an inseam of about 31.5 inches. My arms and legs are a bit on the longer side compared to my torso. I ride mainly trail and very occasionally go to the bike park. I don't race up hills - much more in it for the down portion of the ride.

The reach on the Commencal is 448mm in the large, and 423mm in the medium. Obviously that's not the only thing that comes into play, but I'll be honest, I'm overwhelmed at all of the info on the internet and can't seem to find a straight answer...

I feel like I am right in-between sizes, and I appreciate that. I just want to make sure that if I go with the Large, I will be able to pedal properly and get proper drop on my seat post (150mm reverb).

I tested the Stumpy 6fattie last year in a large and felt that the frame was PERFECT for my size. I checked the geo, and it's definitely different than the Meta, but it's a + bike and more trail focused.

And on top of that, I'm not sure I need the 170mm of travel. They offer another version very similar to the brushed edition with a pike w/ 160mm of travel.
    All in all, I'm just super confused at this point, and any guidance, perspective, or discussion would be really appreciated. Other bike suggestions in the $3200-3500 range valued as well.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The shock(Debonair) and fork(Lyrik) are upgrades probably worth it on this bike. I'd say you're a M based on reach with the 780mm bars. You can swap those out for something with less rise. 30mm is high.
    You can call for more sizing help.

mtbr member
    I have two Commencal bikes, including a V3 Meta. Both are medium, I am exactly the same hight as you and I would say both bikes feel short.

I swapped the stem on my Meta for a shorter one and also fitted a lay-back seat-post and I have the seat right back on the rails. In hindsight, I think a large would have been a better fit. If I was buying another Meta, I would buy the large. It's only a few millimetres of a difference, and I'm happy with the way my bike feels, but with a large I think it would have been easier to get the bike to fit me the way I wanted.

You know where Commencal are based, right? Their bikes descend well. Even my 120mm Meta SL feels very stable and sure-footed going down hill.