Retro suspension bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Retro suspension bike

I ride a '94 steel rigid frame/rigid fork Gary now. It's just fine climbing the rock gardens and clearing the technical singletrack, but it is not so great on descents. Been thinking about getting a suspension fork, but I saw an old full-suspension on craigslist that fits my tiny budget. It was a serious bike in its day, but that day was 14 years ago. It's $250. Is it worth riding, or should I just stick with my current rig?

The bike is a 1998 VooDoo Zobop

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    BTW, for what it's worth, I obviously don't race or anything. I would like to keep up on group rides, but that's more about the motor at this point. I do ride on some challenging terrain though. I don't take my MTB on gravel rail trals and rec paths, because that's what my road bike with 32mm tires is for.

Hi.
    If it's in good shape, it may be worth it. I don't really like URT rear suspension, but some people love them. I'd stick with a hardtail with some kind of front suspension and a good set of high-volume tires. Since you're looking for XLs, try this:

Orbea PopR MTB

Worth it just for the parts (assuming it's in good shape.) So is this one:

Klein Attitude Comp MTB

That Orbea is a good deal. I'd get it just for the parts if I lived in your area. I'd also probably get that Klein, and maybe even the Bontrager Privateer for the frame. You have some good stuff in your area .

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I might just swap out my fork at some point.

Hi.
    Quote Originally Posted by formicaman View Post
    I might just swap out my fork at some point.
    That's fine, except your frame was not made to run a suspension fork. Throwing one on there could screw up your geometry, as it would raise the front end pretty far on your bike. Not only that, but there's a good chance your fork takes a 1" threaded steer tube. Nobody makes those anymore, so you'd have to buy something used on eBay.

You're going to spend at least $150 on a new fork, even if you could find one with a 1" threaded steerer. I don't know why that Orbea is still available - that bike would've sold in a few hours if put on craigslist around here. If it's in good shape, it's a ridiculously good deal...don't waste your time upgrading your bike.

Unless of course, it doesn't fit. Then I recommend buying it anyway for the parts, getting a frame that fits, and swapping everything over.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    forimcaman, instead of spending money on a fork I would think about continuing to save some $$$ and think about a HT 29er in the future. I'm riding the same trails as you and I'm finding the larger tires are making a big difference. I'm able to keep up more speed and roll over things easier. I can't wait to go tubeless and drop the pressure lower. I think it's going to make huge difference on some of the technical climb areas.
    Last edited by jettore; 12-06-2011 at 07:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    or he could try a 26er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jettore View Post
    forimcaman, instead of spending money on a fork I would think about continuing to save some $$$ and think about a HT 29er in the future. I'm riding the same trails as you and I'm finding the larger tires are making a big difference. I'm able to keep up more speed and roll over things easier. I can't wait to go tubeless and drop the pressure lower. I think it's going to make huge difference on some of the technical climb areas.

IF he's more interested in serious descending, the 29 may not be for him. Sounds like he's got the going up stuff covered.

I own both 26 and 29in bikes, and I'll tell you which HT is always more fun to descend on, and it isn't the one with bigger hoops.
    -Eric
    Keeping the hardtail dream alive, one ride at a time.