cruiser
    Aug 2005

replacing a 1992 Stumpjumper

Its been a while since I was bike shopping, and the geometry of the current bikes is vastly different from my present bike (1992 Stumpjumper), which I love. Except for two things: its heavy, and I'd like better brakes (disk). I ride 100% on dirt roads and city streets, with a few hills, but I rarely use anything except the top three gears. It is my commuting vehicle, and I ride about 15 miles a day round trip, 1/2 on gravel/dirt roads.

What I didn't like about the current Specialized mountain bikes: the handle bars are 6" higher off the ground than my 1992 Stumpjumper, due to the longer front forks I think. The bottom bracket is also higher, so I felt like I was sitting a lot higher off the road and a lot more upright than I am used to. Maybe there is some advantage to this, but not for the kind of riding I do.

I'd appreciate some help heading towards something that would be closer to the bike I currently ride, but lighter, with disk brakes.

Rimrock

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

We the people ...

I'm presently doing the same thing and have tried about a dozen bikes, seaching for a replacement of my 1994 m2 stumpjumper. So far I have fallen into 'fully sprung' land and am thinking that I'll get a FS bike but fix & keep my old stumpjumper for when I want to just blow folks away on quick xc trails.

Here's some notables from the dozen or so bikes that I've tried so far:

Although I didn't initially like the new stumpjumper w/ similar issues as what you've brought up, I've grown to like it as my test riding continues..it's a pretty sweet deal & you can prolly get close to the same feeling as your old one by just swapping out the stem for something a little longer.

If you want similar geometry, go for the kona bikes. Sat down on the cinder cone (as it was the highest end HT kona they had in the store) and it felt just like my current SJ..to the degree that I almost ordered the higher end Kona right there. The Kula & Kula Deluxe has the same geometry and comes w/ disk brakes and the Fox Vanilla & RL 100 forks, respectively.

If you're toying w/ going to a FS bike, I've taken serious looks at the Giant NRS, Yeti 575 (although it feels even higher than the new stumpy but would be blast to ride) and the Stumpjumper FSR.

Happy Hunting.

cruiser
    Aug 2005
    [QUOTE=dasfil]If you want similar geometry, go for the kona bikes. Sat down on the cinder cone (as it was the highest end HT kona they had in the store) and it felt just like my current SJ..to the degree that I almost ordered the higher end Kona right there. The Kula & Kula Deluxe has the same geometry and comes w/ disk brakes and the Fox Vanilla & RL 100 forks, respectively.QUOTE]

I went ahead and bought a 95 Rockhopper comp disk, and replaced the stem and handlebars (with Specialized XC flat bars). After replacing the stem & tossing the spacers that were below the stem, I was able to cut 1" off the fork steerer tube. A 90mm stem gave me exactly the same geometry as the 92 Stumpjumper except for the height of the handle bars - they are 2" higher than on the 92. I've been thinking of putting the stem on upside down (angled down), since that would give me exactly what I have now. I think I will get some experience with the bike first, since there is a lot more travel in the shocks on the new bike.

Rimrock.