Repairing carbon frame?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2016

Repairing carbon frame?

Just bought a 2009 EX9.9 26" from a close friend for $400. Im well aware of the deal i got, but it did come with a small catch: the mouting point where the frame and the rear suspension mechanism meet is worn out creating some play. I was initially told it was the pin that was worn out. after having a shop check it out, turns out it was the actual frame that was wearing down. The guy said he can fix it for $80 and it would hold just fine. he said its some adhesive stuff from 3M that he uses. anybody ever heard of such a thing, and would you trust it?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Do you have a picture of the affected area? Is the wearing on carbon, or on a metal bushing?

Life Is Short
    Have your close friend (how close? ok nevermind) take it to a Trek dealer and see if its under warrantee from the wonderful folks at Trek Bicycles
    Cheap people buy things twice

Magically Delicious
    In most cases that I'm aware of, carbon fiber can be repaired.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I can't attach images from my phone but if you can see my album, it's the most recent image.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Huh? What album?

Magically Delicious
    Imaginary album?

I don't see no album
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Sorry still trying to figure this out, sorry. But as far as I know the pin and bushing are fine but have started eating at the frame Making the hole in the frame oblong. I have not even seen the bike yet. It was picked up in Miami while I'm in Costa Rica so I will have a relative bring it for me. Thanks for the feedback thus far, I think the bike will be fine. Just worried

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Ok now I'm waiting for this to turn into a phishing scam.

Dearest Sir, your full attentions and efforts are requested in the assistance of a one Erik Heynow, a wealthy Costa Rican businessman. He has come into possession of an expensive carbon fiber mountain bike and requests your assistance transporting it. You will be paid a handsome carriage fee upon your receipt of the possessions and another carriage fee upon your delivery of the accoutrements to his person in the republic of Costa Rica. In preparation and in honorage of your validity, we now will transmit you a small deposit of the eventual funds. Please respond with the following details:

Name
    Social Security Number
    Bank
    Bank Account Number

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I wish I could say I was clever enough to pull off a scam, but afraid I'm just an average guy who came upon a great deal whilst looking to replace my hard tail that was stolen while I was still living in Miami. My good friend whom we'll call 'Ben' was giving me advise on some bikes I was looking at, he then sent me a Craigslist link on his bike he was selling, he told me he'd give it to me for $400. My wife will be in Miami in two weeks and she will bringing it back. in the meantime it's hanging out at a buddies shop. so, to clarify: I bought it from my former hometown while living abroad. I don't need help transporting it, all logistics have been sorted out. I was simply asking if anyone has heard of this 3M stuff used to repair carbon frames or would trust it. After new rims, repair and tune up the Bike was approaching $1000. Still a killer deal for a FS.Repairing carbon frame?-pivot.jpg
    this is the picture of the pivot bolt/area affected. its all i know for now. supposed to get a call from the shop on friday. Ill know how surgery went
    Last edited by Erik_HeyNow; 09-20-2016 at 03:17 PM. Reason: add picture

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_HeyNow View Post
    My good friend whom we'll call 'Ben' ..
    Is that not his real name?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I call him Ben, not his real name.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik_HeyNow View Post
    I call him Ben, not his real name.
    Doesn't that annoy him?

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Yeah, deviates him. Any other unrelated questions?

> /dev/null 2&>1
    OK first, your rear triangle is aluminum, not carbon. If there is play where that pivot bolt interfaces with the aluminum chain stay, I think that would not be fixable but I could be wrong. It would require a new bushing which would need to be custom machined and then bonded or welded in there. That's a lot more than you paid for the bike.

If the surface between the chain stay and the main triangle is worn, there is probably a metal bushing on the main triangle which is bonded inside the hole in the carbon for the main pivot bolt. This would serve as a contact surface between the rear triangle, the bearing, and the main triangle. Also expensive to fix. What I would do in that case, since you paid $400 for it, is custom machine a thin washer at the correct diameter to go between the chainstay and the main triangle.

Either way what you describe is not a tradition carbon repair, usually when folks talk carbon repair they are talking about fixing a section of damaged tube, this is different because it's a contact surface under high stress and friction (because, it's at the pivot).

So if the shop told you "$80 and 3m," I'm perplexed what he's doing.
    Last edited by Procter; 09-20-2016 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Reddit.com