REI put me on a Medium size...are they crazy?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2016

REI put me on a Medium size...are they crazy?

Hi all hoping for some quick(or thorough) suggestions on what I should do in my current situation.

My height: 6' 1" (73")
    Inseam: 34"
    Wing span (fingertip to fingertip): 73.25"
    Collar bone (outside) to first knuckle: 30.5". To fingertip: 34.5"
    Torso (crotch to neck hollow): 30"

Background: My previous bike was: 2013 Scott Spark 29er (Large) with race face respond riser bars (1.5"). I had no neck/shoulder pain with this bike.

New Bike (Ghost Kato FS 7) Sizing chart here
    I purchased a Ghost Kato FS 7 Large and took it on about 3 rides. after each ride, usually the next day, I'd have pretty bad neck/shoulder pain. The pain was something I can remember having on a road bike I used to have, but not on mountain bikes.

I returned the Large ghost, I had REI do a bike fit with their scanner/xbox kinect app. The app sized me in a Medium for the Kato FS 7. I ended up using the new medium bike, after about 30 minutes of fairly aggressive riding I could tell immediately that my neck was still hurting and if I wasn't careful, it would probably have the same result.

I'm back to square one, I know REI will likely take the medium back and swap for a large if I ask, I just wanted some opinions from the boards first. After much reading and research, I'm thinking that I'd probably be better off going with the Large frame size, and tweaking the stem and adding riser bars like I used to have on my Scott 29er.

Any thoughts welcome, and thanks if you have the time .

mtbr member
    The large kato and large scott have similar geometry, except for the different headtube angle. If you were good on the large scott, you should be good on the large kato.

Did you swap bars or anything, or is the handlebar to seat drop about the same? I know I could tell a huge difference when I went from a 0.5" riser to 1.5" riser and shortened the stem 20mm.
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    I haven't changed anything from stock yet on the Kato. The bars and stem are pretty flat/low in my opinion and definitely lower than what I had on the Scott.

I did just order the same Race Face Respond riser bars that I had on my Scott. I think I might see if REI will swap the medium back for a large, I'll put the same bars on it that I had on the Scott and go from there. I'm guessing I might need to get a shorter or more raised angle stem too.

I don't remember what stem I had on the Scott but it wasn't stock either, it was slightly more raised, along with the riser bars.
    bad pic of the scott bars/stem I had: https://goo.gl/photos/UM2mwPhCEHUQ3WY48

https://goo.gl/photos/XwFqxxVpobw4wXac7

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am several inches shorter than you, with less inseam, and people tell me they think I could fit on a large, I honestly see little reason for you to even attempt a medium myself.

mtbr member
    At 6'1" and a 34" inseam, I don't see how you'd fit on a large. I'd think the post is probably all the way out to the minimum insertion line, just for starters...

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
    At 6'1" and a 34" inseam, I don't see how you'd fit on a large. I'd think the post is probably all the way out to the minimum insertion line, just for starters...

Did you mean you don't see how I'd fit on a medium?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairbanks007 View Post
    Large would be OK, Medium is definitely in the "how?" category. I'm 6'5" with 34" inseam with an XL. I still have a couple inches of seatpost left, so a large frame should work. That medium frame would need something like a 450mm seatpost with a 34" inseam.

Edit: it looks like MTBR is messing up their quote function. Once again, blame it on Specialized.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlrosine View Post
    Did you mean you don't see how I'd fit on a medium?
    Uhh...Yeah. My attention to detail seems to be lacking this evening. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Thanks guys.

I went ahead and exchanged it at REI for large.

I gotta hand it to REI too, they really are great about their exchanges and returns, they really do want you to be happy with the purchase, a big kudos to the REI here for treating me like a king as I return bikes even if they were in showroom condition.

I'll get my new riser bars next week and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jlrosine View Post
    Thanks guys.

I went ahead and exchanged it at REI for large.

I gotta hand it to REI too, they really are great about their exchanges and returns, they really do want you to be happy with the purchase, a big kudos to the REI here for treating me like a king as I return bikes even if they were in showroom condition.

I'll get my new riser bars next week and see how it goes.
    I have chronic neck pain, and often shoulder pain. Riding can aggravate it. For me it has as much to do with "harshness" as it does riding position. Overinflated tires or a fork problem can make a 20 mile ride into misery.

I agree with the large size bike based on your posted size, just like others. I'd just check all the other stuff you can think of now that you are back on a proper size.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by adaycj View Post
    I have chronic neck pain, and often shoulder pain. Riding can aggravate it. For me it has as much to do with "harshness" as it does riding position. Overinflated tires or a fork problem can make a 20 mile ride into misery.

I agree with the large size bike based on your posted size, just like others. I'd just check all the other stuff you can think of now that you are back on a proper size.

Adaycj: What have you done to your bike to attempt to fix the neck pain/shoulder pain?

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    at the very least it is a good idea. I like that they got on PB and discussed with such an open-minded crowd. At $109, for that component it has to be found money or a gift for me right now. But hopefully they have a good run in moto and Mtb. To m the most interesting thing about this is the "what if" aspect. For example, if ODI or whoever started the locn-on grips concpt ahd come up with this idea as just the lock-on product we would all be using them now. Not sure what is driving their cost, whether it's that they are small or made in USA or both. But if the price was $50 They would be on my bike no questions asked, just to try them I will do $50.

So then I started thinking aout cost and what I "need" in this area? I ride with wrist braces all the time, I upgraded to an ARC 30 on my hard tail now run 21psi, I just got a great deal on brand new 120 pike for my hard tail. None of that was for arm pump, oh and I am frequently trying new grips at $30 a pop. Let's see , in my parts bin I have 2 sets of relatively unworn Vans waffle grips, loaded presision components, and others...I easily have over $150 of little worn grips in my parts bin. All that said and it's th mental block from the $109 price. Get them cheaper I am in. Who am I kidding, I will probably be blwoing money on these within 6 months just out of curiosity.

Anyway, good luck to a made in USA company!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    ooops wrong thread, but REI is awesome too!! I just discovered an "issue" with Tapatalk, called not paying attention to the side bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Front tire pressure as low as reasonable. Suspension fork set or modified for reasonable sharp bump compliance. Riser bars (you mentioned a set you use). Seat position on rails, with a post setback that works for pedaling and reach. A stem length that works with the bars, and the seat. For me Egron grips helped too.

Most of the contact point stuff are just things that have to get addressed with each new bike. The grips are really preference. I like the wings under my palms with the grips and that seems to give a little compliance because they flex a bit. A negative is my GP1 style egron grips have very poor grip when wet. I increase my grip force when wet which leads to more fatigue, and its hard for me to grip the bars hard without stressing my shoulders and back.

I've tried carbon bits because of the advertised compliance. For me, it doesn't help even though I like the parts in other ways. The slamming and jarring stuff seems to hurt me more than just general harshness or roughness. As it stands now I can ride for about three hours with only minimal pain, and I don't take Advil before or after. The trails matter of course, so apples to apples is hard. However, I rode a rental on vacation last year, and I was in significant pain after an hour. I think the setup of my bike and the contact point parts and parts helps.

mtbr member
    Thats great they took it back, I don't think many small bike shops would or could afford to do that. I like the little guys but thats one big plus for the chain store.

I am 6'3 230lbs and for my very first real mountain bike I was fit on a large 2008 Cannondale Prophet (could go L or XL...mostly XL) the issue was the coil in the fork was for a 180 pound rider and the rear shock tune about the same so I had no peddle platform and the fork would dive like crazy under light braking... It was horrible and after a few tuff crashes I almost lost interest. good fit is so important!

anyway, check out Ebay for TruVative Hussefelt bars they come in 20,30 and 40 rises and can be found for $20..... also look for cheap stems in a few lengths and rises. even if its not what you want to ride its worth the $100 or so to have some fitting tools around.

FYI I had some neck pain on my new bike (XL Camber) and a 20mm riser bar and a short stem fixed me up, the combo gets me into a slightly more upright position without unweighting the front to much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    ooops wrong thread, but REI is awesome too!! I just discovered an "issue" with Tapatalk, called not paying attention to the side bar.
    Thought I was going crazy for a second. Nope, just a normal Monday.