SyF
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Recommendations for low-intermediate-level biker

I am pretty new to mountain biking and to this forum as well. Started biking about 2 years ago when we moved to Colorado. Got a K2 Zed 3.0 from the local Performance Bike store. Rode about once every few weeks in the beginning, but have started riding more often this summer (about 3-4 times per week).

I'm probably a low-intermediate rider. To give an idea of my ability, some rides I've done and liked here in Colorado are: Apex Park, Hall Ranch, Heil Valley Ranch, Evergreen Mtn, Brush Creek in Crested Butte, Vail Mtn (from Vail Village up to Mid-Vail). My rides usually range anywhere between 5-15 miles roundtrip, with elevation gains of 1,000-2,000 feet.

I'm starting to think about getting a new bike. My K2 seems quite heavy (coompared to my wife's Giant Yukon), it doesn't shift properly always, the chain drops often, and the seat just broke the other day. Plus it has rim brakes and lacks clipless pedals.

Am I overestimating my ability in thinking I should move up to a better bike? Or is the K2 just fine for my level (I hope to progress more in my biking skills this year), and should I just upgrade some components on it? Any thoughts? I'm hoping not to spend more than $600 or so -- assuming that a new bike is the answer for me, am I crazy to think $600 will get me something decent?

I'm looking at the Iron Horse Expert '05. Will do a test-ride in a few days, but any feedback? Any other bikes I should look at?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

-SyF.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Have you checked out a Woodstock?

Sounds like you are exactly where I was about 6 weeks ago. I was just getting to the point that my crappy bike was dragging me down (I don't know anything about your k2, though), and I was on a limited budget (650). I found this site on the internet:

www.woodstockbikes.com

and am real effin' glad I did. The components are amazing for the price (sram x7 shifters and der, avid mech. discs, protaper bar, manitou axel fork w/ lockout, etc), and the bike was at my door 2 days after ordering (with no tax and free shipping!). When my bb developed minor clicking after 300 miles, Jimmy (owner of woodstock) paid for me to get it tightened at a bikeshop. I looked at ibex and motobecane, but woodstock gave me much more for the money, and their customer service has been par none. I highly recommend at least giving thse bikes a look if you are in the market for a damn good trailbike with an upgradeable future.