recently failed frame- Mtbr.com
    one less car

recently failed frame

my '06 KHS XC104 developped a crack in on the seat tube, which resulted in a warranty replacement. went thru my LBS and was sent a black '09 XC604, which "feels" like a totally different bike. so, if anyone from KHS posts here, mucho gracias
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails recently failed frame-front.jpg  

nothing in life is real, so if anything goes wrong, blame the dead guy

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    is this a rant or is this good news?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    From the look of the failure looks to be a seat post that was not inserted enough. I know there are a few out there that the min insert is not sufficnet for the fram min insert. It should always be inserted enough to allow for the Top Tube to take some of the load

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    is this a rant or is this good news?
    nope, no rant. it's a kudos to KHS for warranteeing out a new frame . I don't see how others have had a prob with KHS, unless they didn't go thru their LBS

could be too high a seatpost, but if it were, then I figure that bit of tube would've broken off completely, which it didn't, there was about .25in at the back that both ends of the crack didn't meet at.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    cool. good for you. I looked at the old frame on KHS web site, looks like you definitely got an upgrade. KHS is definitely an underrated company.

one less car
    Quote Originally Posted by mnigro
    cool. good for you. I looked at the old frame on KHS web site, looks like you definitely got an upgrade. KHS is definitely an underrated company.
    yeah, had a newer frame sent. odd thing is, tho, on the '06 104 part of the serial# was XC604. the 604 frame has XC104 stamped in it . so, was I sent an upgrade?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'm not sure if you were sent an upgrade in terms of the serial numbers. as far as the design goes, definitely an upgrade from what I could tell by the pics of both bikes.

the current XC models only differ in terms of the spec list / shcok for frame only. the xc104 is the same as the xc604 frames. the only jump in frame material is on the Team models.

What shock is on the frame you received? compare that to what is spec'd on their website and it'll let you know.

one less car
    it came strippped, no shock/headset/BB, which wasn't a prob. got a new shimano LX BB and a cane creek headset put in. everything else was swapped over. I was hoping someone might've made a "mistake" and sent a Team instead, but nope, and yeah a definite upgrade. it weighed in at 33lbs w/out lights, lock and those useless v-brake mounts and bottle cage. overall, it rides differently compared to the 104, meaning better. can't quite figure that out

Members who have read this thread: 0