Rebuild Klein Rascal or go for 29er??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2010

Rebuild Klein Rascal or go for 29er??

Hows it going? I have my old Rascal that at the moment needs a complete rebuild to be ridable again, I have bookmarked, all the parts needed to get this steed back on the trail using a mix of old and new XT components. I can buy for $600- $700 and the Rascal is reborn in all of it's rigid form and weighing in at about 22 lbs

The other option is to take that cash and go for a 29er. I have looked and in that price range, I am just not feeling the love for any of the bikes so far...the only bike that gets my vote was a Niner air 9 with full XTR for $4000 which just ain't going to happen. So I humbly bow to you all and ask for your opinion and we all know about opinions right?? LOL

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    For the $6-700 you spend rebuilding the Klein, you'll have a difficult time spending the same amount of cash on a comparably equiped 29er.

How many other bikes are you riding at the moment ? Budget constraints ?

If you aren't riding anything at the moment, then the decision is narrowed, correct ?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Thanks for the reply. No other bikes at the moment. The budget right now $560. to go toward a ride of some sort. I have swept Craigs list in search of a year or two old 29er and there just is not much in my size (med.) or in my area. Also thought about building a 29er from scratch (1X9) but frame and one wheel and I am done...cash wise. Guess it's has to be the rebirth of the Rascal..

I am editing this post because this just came up on my local CL:

2007 Felt 9 Elite frame. Anodized grey in color. 17.5 inch seat tube. This is an aluminum hardtail frame and the $425 price includes the frame, headset, Felt 6061 aluminum seatpost w/ saddle, stem and riser bar (riser bar is not pictured). The other parts pictured are not included. The frame is in perfect condition.

I also have a set of WTB SpeedDisc 29er wheels with Shimano hubs for $125. They are 6 bolt disc specific. Price includes a brand new set of Salsa skewers. They are virtually unridden... not a scratch anywhere.

So this just stirred the pot a bit.....now what?? Sounds like I need brakes, tires, cranks, chain, fork and gearing...So I know how my rascal handles and I loved it, is a 29er really the way to go???
    Last edited by blasted; 05-31-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0