Rear derailleur cable gets caught on seat clamp when rear suspension bottoms out- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Rear derailleur cable gets caught on seat clamp when rear suspension bottoms out

I know that the degree that you guys can help me is limited without pictures, but bear with me for now. Basically, every time I bottom out my rear 120mm suspension, my rear derailleur cable gets stuck on top of my Remedy 5's seat clamp and makes it shift all over the place. I ride in a pretty rocky/rooty area with logpiles and dropoffs so this tends to happen every couple of minutes unless I have my air pressure ridiculously high. The only thing that I can think of is taping down the cable guard, but I feel like this will limit the necessary flexibility of the cable. Any other suggestions? Pictures will be coming tomorrow if this isn't enough.

mtbr member
    Can you spin the clamp around 180 so the clamp's lock arm is on the opposite side?

mtbr member
    Ah, it's always the simplest solutions. I'll give it a shot tomorrow, I'm pretty sure the cable was getting stuck on the inner circular part of the clamp, though. Doesn't hurt to try.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I had the same problem on my kona stinky, I ended up routing the cable around the outside of the rocker instead of the inside and problem was solved.

Picture Unrelated
    You could also look into making the housing shorter or longer. I would try shorter as long as you still have enough slack to accommodate the suspension movement. But turning the clamp will probably be easiest as long as it works.
    Don't you hate it when a sentence doesn't end the way you think it octopus?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AladdinP
    I know that the degree that you guys can help me is limited without pictures, but bear with me for now. Basically, every time I bottom out my rear 120mm suspension, my rear derailleur cable gets stuck on top of my Remedy 5's seat clamp and makes it shift all over the place. I ride in a pretty rocky/rooty area with logpiles and dropoffs so this tends to happen every couple of minutes unless I have my air pressure ridiculously high. The only thing that I can think of is taping down the cable guard, but I feel like this will limit the necessary flexibility of the cable. Any other suggestions? Pictures will be coming tomorrow if this isn't enough.
    Tough to envision without photos, but how about zip tying your rear derailleur cable housing to your seatpost, just below the seat post clamp? That way, it should not ride up over the top of the clamp..........just thinking outside of the box.

Members who have read this thread: 1