mtbr member

Reach vs top tube

With the launch of the Ripmo, many have spoke about “how big” the bike is. How the cockpit is “huge” and such a long reach, etc. I understand that reach is the horizontal distance from the B.B. to the head tube and top tube being hoist two distance from the seat-post to the top of the head tube. Do people not understand that as you increase the seat tube angle that it shortens the top tube length and that matters more than reach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    '18 Ibis Ripmo GX/XT

Backup - 2013.5 Stumpy EVO 29 - backup
    '18 Ibis Ripley LS V3 in Vitamin P (retired)

mtbr member
    Reach= riding position length when standing

Effective top tube= riding position length when seated.

Both matter IMHO, the former while descending and the latter while climbing. Both affect overall fit and comfort of course.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chukwithak View Post
    Do people not understand that as you increase the seat tube angle that it shortens the top tube length and that matters more than reach?
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I think they both matter. IMO ETT is a less critical because you can effectively change it by moving the seat fore and aft on the rails, and / or using an offset seatpost. Of course that effectively changes the STA, and only a limited amount of movement is available.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by justwan naride View Post
    Reach= riding position length when standing

Effective top tube= riding position length when seated.

Both matter IMHO, the former while descending and the latter while climbing. Both affect overall fit and comfort of course.
    Perfectly stated. "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to justwan naride again."
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    they both "matter", just reach matters 1,000,000 times more since there's no way to adjust it. Have you ever heard of someone having a bike where they were comfortable with the reach but couldn't get the saddle where they wanted it for seated pedaling?

Neither have I.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Have you ever heard of someone having a bike where they were comfortable with the reach but couldn't get the saddle where they wanted it for seated pedaling?

Neither have I.
    Yeah, happens to tall guys on bikes with slack seat tubes all the time.

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    Yeah, happens to tall guys on bikes with slack seat tubes all the time.
    Precisely. Happens to me at just 6'2". I like my STA in the 78° range. Saddle doesn't go far forward enough on many frames. Fortunately many frame builders are starting to get it.
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    they both "matter", just reach matters 1,000,000 times more since there's no way to adjust it. Have you ever heard of someone having a bike where they were comfortable with the reach but couldn't get the saddle where they wanted it for seated pedaling?

Neither have I.
    Bingo.
    As far as I'm concerned these newer geo bikes with long reach/front center and steep st°'s are fanflippintastic.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

mtbr member
    I guess it assist me more since I'm a sit and spin climber. Most the climbs here are long and steep. (Nor Cal) I vary rarely stand but I see now. I still think it's being completely blown up with the seat tube angle being neglected. Doing some comparisons last night to the Ripley, Yeti SB5.5, it was 6-10mm difference. Yes it's longer but realistically how often does someone sit in the exact same spot on their seat every time, and bringing that 50mm stem in with a 40mm or 32mm even.

and maybe I'm completely mis understanding, but that's why I bring it up. Trying to understand more.
    '18 Ibis Ripmo GX/XT

Backup - 2013.5 Stumpy EVO 29 - backup
    '18 Ibis Ripley LS V3 in Vitamin P (retired)

mtbr member
    I don't think seat angle is being neglected. I think it was very aggressively addressed industry wide, and it's pretty well understood to be important.

A steeper seat tube angle does shorten the effective top tube, but that's why we have long ass reach bikes now. Throw on the short stem and wide bars, and the package works. A slack seat tube on a otherwise modern geometry frame wouldn't fit most people.

mtbr member
    Have you ever heard of someone having a bike where they were comfortable with the reach but couldn't get the saddle where they wanted it for seated pedaling?
    yes, several. me, for one. plus a few riders I know.

however, I think that's often because optimizing the cockpit for wrangling the bike results in an effective reach that is too short. so they take a bike that is the "the right size" and have to shove the seat waaaay back on the rails so they are not scrunched up on the bike when sitting. this is the reason why I am finally on board with the modern long bikes, even on rigid singlespeeds like my bike. you should not need a slack-as-hell seat tube or an inch of seatpost offset (I used a Truvativ post) to make your bike not destroy your back.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Neither have I.
    I demoed a mach 6 a few years ago and could not get get the saddle forward enough, and I'm only 5'9".
    I got some bad ideas in my head.