Raleigh Venture 3.0 Vs. Trek 3900- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Raleigh Venture 3.0 Vs. Trek 3900

Hi I am new to these parts.This might be posted in wrong section: Im debating between 2 bikes. I will be using it to ride to school and back and possibly round town and some light trail riding. I was trying to keep in the $300 range, the last bike I owned was Huffy Stone Mountain II, it sucked alot $75 kmart special. Anyway, yesterday I got a Raleigh Venture 3.0 the 06 model from a local shop for $299 normally like $320 before taxes, I like it alot, the plus to it is the built in shock on the seat.
    Im debatin on returning it for somthing cheaper I saw today, The Trek 3900 on sale for $259 normaly $320 on sale cuz it was some blue and gold color. I liked it too, the frame looked beefier ( i weigh 190 or so). The thing it lacked was a shock seat.

Can anyone tell me what would be the better buy/ better ride? Thanks
    Venture 3.0 specs
    Trek specs
    Also, could I add anything like this to either to improve my ride?
    I also considered Giant Boulder, and Specialized Expedition
    Last edited by motorpotor; 08-21-2006 at 10:50 PM.

ride hard take risks
    I think you would be better off with the Trek, the components are a step up sorta. The inexpensive suspension post are ok till they start to get flex front to rear after awhile.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So the Trek is a better bike, even tho they are priced comparbly(orginaly)? So would you not recommend the suspension upgrade to the Judy xc since im a beginer?

ride hard take risks
    The Judy fork i wouldnt consider a up grade. At that price range they are all about equal, RS has a better brand name but it does not always mean it's better.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Are these the kind of bikes youd even consider modifiying any part of it, since they didnt cost much in the 1st place?

ride hard take risks
    The Trek yes i would upgrade parts as they fail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    so the trek will do light trail riding right

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006
    I wouldn't worry about components at your level. I had a Trek 800 Sport from 2002 until I got a new bike, I never upgraded anything on that bike. Rigid (no suspension) frame, full altus drivetrain (extreme low-end), And I took that on some decent trails, never really having any problems with it, just learn how to adjust your derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    here it is my new rid e

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006
    That cable lock doesn't look very thick...

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    its a Kryptonite and the store put it on for me. The bike is stored in my apartment and in a public bike cage at school. So could install a better suspension fork to it?

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006
    Yes, you COULD install a better fork. Ride it first to see how you like/dislike it and keep in mind that you would have to shell out a couple hundred (not to discourage it). And depending on what kind of riding you do, I might recommend changing the tires. But, as with the fork, ride it first. Have fun!

ride hard take risks
    Just ride it & jump off everything in sight, awsome.

mtbr member
    dont worry about the fork, just lose the kickstand and those cheap plastic stock pedals.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    So iv been riding it round today I really like it. Alot better than my ol Huffy. If i change any part to it, should new parts be installed by a professional?
    I was thinkin the 1st thing to replace would be the saddle, I really dont like it, way to stiff, I put a gel cover over it and still no good. I saw a few things and wanted to get opinions on. Also, if im replacing the saddle should i replace the seat post too or does that not matter? My seat post is 31.6, and my fork is 70mm which is a Spinner Grind 1. Which is ok but could be better
    Heres what I was thinkingGoing for comfyness)
    Forte EasyRider
    Azonic Big Drop
    Kalloy Uno seatpost
    Kalloy 2 seatpost
    Im not sure how these work but Wellgo WPD-823
    and then possible fork uprades
    Rock Shox Judy XC
    Manitou Axel Elite

Will work 4 Fisher's
    Jun 2006
    When you say "I'm not sure how these work" what exactly do you mean. They are clipless pedals, meaning you would also have to purchase special shoes compatible with that type of clip. I have a Manitou Axel Elite on my Piranha (love it, both of them), but I am a fan of Rock Shox. Saddle is up to you. No, you don't NEED to replace the seat post, unless you don't like it in some way, shape, or form.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yea i wasnt sure if i needed shoes for it

mtbr member
    i highly suggest WTB seats. they have a bunch of different models from $20-$120. leave the seatpost alone, installing a new seat is really easy. the stock pedals on bikes like yours are usually plastic which doesnt offer much traction and they usually end up breaking. get a decent platform pedal.

http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...omp-Saddle.htm
    http://www.blueskycycling.com/produc...orm-Pedals.htm

Members who have read this thread: 0